Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 manifold

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
heres a bit of a comparison for you:

my ute, 355 stroker with a torque power dual plane manifold, crane 286 cam and 9.8:1 compression ratio
my mates caprice, 355 stroker, standard banana manifold, crane 284 cam and 9.5:1 compression ratio

ute makes 232 rwkw at 5700 rpm, 630(ish) nm torque at 3700rpm
caprice makes 186rwkw at 4900 rpm, 425ish nm torque at 3100rpm
Wow two completely different cars with completely different setups made different power, who would of guessed!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
check out the thread on Street Commodores about the 383 stroker with standard banana's manifold. only made a little over 400hp but made a huge amount of torque. perfect for a streeter

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
check out the thread on Street Commodores about the 383 stroker with standard banana's manifold. only made a little over 400hp but made a huge amount of torque. perfect for a streeter

It's a real piece of work Adrian's VN is (watch the vid's in the thread), I was hoping to go for a spin in it before I undertook my build but he has gone and snapped the Eagle cranshaft that was in it.
Hopefully when he gets it back on the road I will get to see it in person.

As for the comments about TP manifold VS Banana's they are two completely different setups, the 284 likes compression (I would have thought atleast (10.0:1 in a 355) and isn't really the cam of choice for the "Bunch of Bananas" (sure does sound good though). Hell didn't GOTMYN's Seantor 220i run 196rwkw unopened with stock manifold before he went and put the Whipple on it.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ouch. i'd only use either a COME or Scat crank. if $$$ was no issue then CSR it would be.

i think as soon as you start fitting cams with a tighter LSA then stock you need to up the CR. with a 286 i don't think anything less then 10:1 is worthwhile. personally i'd be shooting for 10.5:1

if you want to stick with the banana's then you want a cam that is all over and done by 5000rpm max

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
ouch. i'd only use either a COME or Scat crank. if $$$ was no issue then CSR it would be.

i think as soon as you start fitting cams with a tighter LSA then stock you need to up the CR. with a 286 i don't think anything less then 10:1 is worthwhile. personally i'd be shooting for 10.5:1

if you want to stick with the banana's then you want a cam that is all over and done by 5000rpm max

When you say CSR is that crankshaft rebuilders (auscrank)

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Yes! CSR is Crank Shaft Rebuilders or Auscrank... They are expensive, but their work is second to none!