Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 rear mounted turbo

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
How the hell can you multiply boost with multi power adders? That would mean with two turbos and a supercharger all putting out 10 psi you've got 1000 psi of boost? Me thinky not.

You're thinking about it the wrong way.

'Boost' or 'pressure' is a unit measurement of resistance.

If a power adder can flow more air than the engine can take, then pressure builds in the inlet tract.

If a car is already supercharged (in this case, positive displacement) then the inlet side of the supercharger will be at atmospheric pressure or below (vacuum), now put another power adder upstream of that, in this case, a turbo, then all of a sudden, providing the turbo can flow more air than the supercharger can pull through, there is an increase in pressure at the inlet of the supercharger, which then carries through into the inlet manifold, equalling more air in the same space.

Don't laugh at the 'multiple turbo' thing either, that technology has been used in diesels for a long time and is currently being used on an audi diesel powered Le Mans car.
Two turbos, set up sequentially, making over 50psi at the engine.

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
so any other thoughts on types of oil pumps that might work? and do mufflers stand up to pressure? would they do anything upstream of a turbo or under pressure are they pointless? try ys or four in to ones does it really matter?

Last edited:

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
in the latest sc magazine in the readers questions section this was brought up with a heap of info

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
so any other thoughts on types of oil pumps that might work? and do mufflers stand up to pressure? would they do anything upstream of a turbo or under pressure are they pointless? try ys or four in to ones does it really matter?

Use 4 into 1's.
Only thing you should put upstream of the turbo is whatever cats you need.
Turbo will tone the exhaust note right down, you wont need much to quieten it.

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride

Last edited:

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
You're thinking about it the wrong way.

'Boost' or 'pressure' is a unit measurement of resistance.

If a power adder can flow more air than the engine can take, then pressure builds in the inlet tract.

If a car is already supercharged (in this case, positive displacement) then the inlet side of the supercharger will be at atmospheric pressure or below (vacuum), now put another power adder upstream of that, in this case, a turbo, then all of a sudden, providing the turbo can flow more air than the supercharger can pull through, there is an increase in pressure at the inlet of the supercharger, which then carries through into the inlet manifold, equalling more air in the same space.

Don't laugh at the 'multiple turbo' thing either, that technology has been used in diesels for a long time and is currently being used on an audi diesel powered Le Mans car.
Two turbos, set up sequentially, making over 50psi at the engine.

Not mocking multi boosters at all, still not convinced of multiplication of boost. My original point still stands, 3 times 10 psi would produce 1000 psi if multiplication was correct and I don't think it is.

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
what page is it on

crap i left the mag at work..... its in the section where readers letters get answered near the start, n its down the bottom left of the page

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
i must be blind i found the bit that refers to stephens letter. but i carnt find it.......