Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3900 watts rms

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
The popular Optima D34:

Recommended Charging Information:
Alternator: 13.65 to 15.0 volts

Source

Go publish that story bro.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Go outside to your car with a multimeter and measure the voltage across the battery.

With the car not running it could range anywhere between 11.2-12.4v
With the car running and on idle it will range somewhere between 13.2-13.6v
With the car running at approximately 1500-2000RPM it will sit between 14-14.4v.

At no point SHOULD IT exceed that. The battery manufacturer might say that, but that's for a QUICK charge (Which will not properly charge the battery), not a SUSTAINED input. Tyre's have "Maximum 60PSI" written on the side of them. Do you put 60PSI into them?

I had a car with the alternator charging the battery at 14.8v. It took 4 months for it to kill things. The battery would no longer hold voltage. Fuses and globes were blowing. I had electrical gremlins everywhere. THE SYSTEM IS NOT DESIGNED TO HAVE 15V GOING INTO IT. That's why I said the alternator would have had the current output changed, if anything were changed.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I had a car with the alternator charging the battery at 14.8v. It took 4 months for it to kill things. The battery would no longer hold voltage. Fuses and globes were blowing. I had electrical gremlins everywhere. THE SYSTEM IS NOT DESIGNED TO HAVE 15V GOING INTO IT. That's why I said the alternator would have had the current output changed, if anything were changed.

you need a new multimeter then, because 14.8volts won't blow globes or kill batteries.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
you need a new multimeter then, because 14.8volts won't blow globes or kill batteries.

It will eventually. It's not going to kill it as quickly as 18v will, but it'll kill them.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
@ the OP

what car do you drive round town in? i might know who you are lol i got the light blue vz ute