Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3degrees&overheating

VRAddiction

its never fast enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS Manual Ute
boona15 said:
may sound silly but have you mixed 2 different brands of coolant together???
sometimes and only sometimes they have a chemical reaction and it turns thick and doesnt cool cos it sounds like a bit of problem when youve replaced all those things..... or maybe you have a blocked water jacket in the block????

well its not silly as if you mix two different coolants together you get a chemical reaction known as electrolisis and it causes 'clay' like chunks and blocks your cooling system......

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
Yeah guys i am running one type of coolant when i brought the car i serviced it all so yeah unfortunitly its not that.....i am considering buying a new radiator what should i be looking at price wise, its a 304 Auto Vs?

Crombie87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ex-Police Commodore Wagon
I Just replaced my radiator in me v6 auto it cost $220

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
If it cools down when you slow down it's bound to be a radiator and the fact you had a problem with your trans cooler lends support to that. YOu may just need to remove it, take it to a radiator shop and have it checked, flushed and flow tested (and I mean by a radiator shop, with the tanks removed).

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
dont know if you have your engine covers on. they are designed to funnel the air over your engine and cooling it better. also an early model fan should fit, but if i was going to do that i would think about thermo fans. i have seen twin au falcon ones fitted.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
LisnM8 said:
Hako when you mean it shoudnt spin do you mean if you give it a good old push(spin) it shoudnt continue to spin yeah, well just tested it and it stops intantly well maybe 1/4 of a turn if not less...and well i rev the motor i can feel a fair bit of air passing through the radiator, and it doesnt look like its free wheeling........could i put on a traditional stlye(flexifan) fan from a 308 and test that out? Do they fit?Even though it may not sit inside the shroud which would probably be worse huh.........arrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh just when i thought i found the solution :realangry Dont be suprised if my next post is in the For Sale section........
That description indicates the fan is OK and like some other listers I'd be leaning toward a partially blocked radiator especially since the transmission oil cooler leaked oil into the coolant....you mentioned earlier about removing crap etc from the engine etc when this happened. Those tubes inside the radiator are very small and it doesn't take much to block them. Radiator are cheap on Ebay.

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
Thanks guys ok ill go fork out more mulla and hopefully she cools down fingers crossed...

cheers

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Let us all know how you get on but I'm putting $100 on a radiator fixing it.

9C1pack

Reaction score
I had a similar problem to what you describe (years ago), I reverse flushed the radiator with water and compressed air, and it still over heated. My foreman mechanic at the time found the problem, I had cleaned the inside of the radiator but not the outside.He got the steam cleaner and washed the radiator fins it did not look blocked at a glance but was full of grasshoppers and grass seeds from when I used to drive it around the paddock before I got my license.
Your car probably has an auto trans cooler in front of an airconditioning condensor in front of a radiator. Give them all a clean at the hot wash, just dont hold the gun too close as the metal will proabably be getting a bit weak.
If it does not work then its off the radiator guy for you.

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
Wooooooo Hoooooooooooo

Ok guys and girls thanks alot for all ya help, my car finally sits bellow 1/4, Problem was.....a combination of things, 1) All my hoses had scale and crap in them, 2) heater core blocked BIG TIME 3) Air Shoot missing 4) Raditor had clumps of S**T in it, dont know why it didnt come out when i flushed it...5) Aftermarket water pump was crap, replaced with genuine and thats about it spend lots of money but its worth it, every step i took slowly brought the temp down, if i drive it harshly the gauge doesnt even move.........Its a thing to consider when you buy a car from a grandpa whose stored a car for years without starting it...yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo :driving: