Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3L SIDI Petrol vs 3.6L Factory Dual Fuel

Ararat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at picking up a used VE Commodore from a Holden dealer, and I've basically narrowed it down to 2 options (which are pretty much the same price).

2011 Omega with 3L SIDI petrol engine, or
2010 Omega with 3.6L factory dual fuel system.

Which of the two would people overall recommend, and is the factory LPG system very economical? Is the 3L Commodore more economical on petrol than the dual fuel engine, and does this come at the cost of performance (its kW rating is higher?)?

Also, do people think that the added dual fuel option is worth sacrificing ~8 months of new car warranty?

Thanks for any help.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
The 3L SIDI in the 2011 Omega isn't going to put a smile on your dial anytime soon. Too little cubes for too big of a car in my opinion. Go for the bigger donk or open your wallet up some more and find a SIDI SV6.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Stay away from the 3l. Your vx would probably use less fuel. If it was me it'd be the 3.6l for sure, but only manual as the autos in the old omegas weren't the best. Jump on car sales and see how much you can pick up the cars for, check out the sv6 as well, dealers charge an arm and a leg.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Have to agreed with the 2 members above go the 3.6

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
My work car is a 2012 Omega 3.0 litre. Average fuel is anywhere between 12 and 15 litres per 100km. Combination of freeway and mild traffic. You really need to give it to them to get them going, meaning more fuel usage. You can get better out of an SS.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
Years ago I had a Fairlane with dual fuel. I vowed never to have another LPG vehicle.

I had a VZ 3.6L 4-speed auto Executive, and was very happy with it.

I bought a VE 3.0L SIDI 6-speed auto Omega, in order to get better economy on long trips, and I have certainly acheived that. My best was 898 km for 71.7 litres in Queensland, sitting between 100 ~ 110 kph. That's 7.98 L per 100 km.

The 3.0 is a tiny bit slower from a standing start, but just as good in every other respect.

My VE was the third car that I've bought at Pickles Auctions. The dealers buy them there too, and then add $6k for their profit. I'd suggest that you look at auctions.