Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4l60e Manualised Questions

Mike Rolls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 4x4 Buggy
Hi People. I have a pretty intense Question.
I've done the ECU wire chop and join with a diode modification to make the trans manualised. Works ok. BUT there still a lag between gears. I've been in a mates vehicle and it changes with a solid bump. I've seen valve body kits to do the same job, but don't know which kit or what to do next. These vehicles are 4x4 Trails competition in NZ. Told ya it was intense. Cheers MIKE.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Transgo shift kit,corvette servo & other common mod forget name of it...will change hard enough then but good memcal tune will help.

*assuming transmission still healthy.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Or you could go with a full stage 3 manual valve body kit.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi People. I have a pretty intense Question.
I've done the ECU wire chop and join with a diode modification to make the trans manualised. Works ok. BUT there still a lag between gears. I've been in a mates vehicle and it changes with a solid bump. I've seen valve body kits to do the same job, but don't know which kit or what to do next. These vehicles are 4x4 Trails competition in NZ. Told ya it was intense. Cheers MIKE.
Cool vehicle!
I've got the TCI shift kit in my 4l60e. Shifted very hard so removed the 1-2 shift actuator to soften just that one.
I'm only a few hours drive from you too.

Mike Rolls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 4x4 Buggy
Good info thanks. I do have trouble when shifting from 2nd to 1st. Climbing hills, as soon as I lose rpm in 2nd I need to smash it into 1st ASAP. At the moment it has a hesitation. Ill grab one of those kits and see how we go. Cheers MIKE

PS; what is a good cheep shifter.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Shift kit, then get your transmission tuned to adjust valve pressures and shift points to suit the engine, gearing and use, bumping up line pressure will get it shifting harder and faster, which is good, to a point, plus faster shifts helps with heat by not letting the clutches slip as much as the rubbish OEM tune, 4l60e's hate heat and is the No 1 killer of a stock transmission, well, that and mashing the loud pedal when in drive and the converter locked, 4th to 3rd WOT shifts is another way to kill the transmission, the transmission doesn't like sitting on the limiter as well, the pulsing can kill the pump gear

The 4l60e's are OK transmissions if you understand their limitations and apply mechanical sympathy were required

My built 4l60e has been running with over 900nm for around 2 years now, with lots of runs down the strip on drag radials and big skids

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You need an actual mechanical shift kit and a manual valve body in the transmission (do both, don't just throw a shift kit at it if you want a manualised trans).

Chopping some wires just stops the transmission from shifting automatically, all you've done is stop the ECU from controlling the shift points etc. As far as I'm aware the trans is still controlling the line pressures etc which will determine your shift quality and with a stock tune it will be very conservative and lazy.

The proper way to do it is to put a manual valve body in the trans, all the cars you see that are "manualised' are actually proper manual valve bodied transmissions.

Last edited:

Mike Rolls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 4x4 Buggy
I have noticed, not all shift kits are the same (shift improver) the insulation videos look doable. Prices range from $180 to $400 to $2500. I've played with lowering the gearing but still lose power in 2nd gear. Yes its still slow to change between gears. Quite keen on a mechanical shift kit, just need to get the right one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore