Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0L Auto box advice/help

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Have got the series 1 SS and whenever I downshift it doesn't appear to hold the gear i.e it's almost like dropping a manual into neutral .. there's no 'compression breaking' (excuse my lack of technical terms - i'm self taught). This is my first auto car but I know this isn't normal because when i first got the car it didn't do this.

Now, firstly does this sound like a simple/regular problem? If so is it something an inexperieced (but competant!) person could fix or should I leave it to the professionals? And if this is the case, what would an approximate cost to repair something like this? Would I be better off changing the box? (If the box is FUBAR then a manual swapout could be on the table).

Any and all help appreciated! :)

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Why are you driving your AUTO like a manual? Im yet to see any good come from it....

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Because I have hills where i live and rather than apply the brakes every time I will drop it down a gear to hold the speed limit while coasting down the hill ... i'm not actually driving it like a manual besides that.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Brake pads are easier to replace the a busted Gearbox, just a thought..

Other then that I cant help you with your issue.. Someone on here will stumble upon your post and help out.. If its urgent, call up an Auto Trans Workshop.

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
I know they are, I did the pads and rotors when I first picked up the car. I think however you have miss-read the part I need advice on, but thanks for keeping the thread near the top :)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Because I have hills where i live and rather than apply the brakes every time I will drop it down a gear to hold the speed limit while coasting down the hill ... i'm not actually driving it like a manual besides that.
I can't help with your problem either but I also do this when travelling in a 60 zone and I come to a steep hill I will put in 3rd and it will keep me at around 60 going down the hill whereas if I were in drive I would be doing around 70, it just saves riding the brakes all the way down the hill. I seriously doubt any harm will come to the transmission when changing back to 3rd at about 60km/ph. I am not trying to drive it like a manual and in fact, I don't want a manual.

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Bumping thread for weekend traffic ... there must be a few users on here that would know this =]

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Can you hear it drop down a gear?

So its dropping down but your not receiving any compression from the gear change? Right?

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Urgh, typed my reply and hit the wrong button *facepalm*...

OK, yes, it selects gears fine when you put your foot down, and will drive like a manual up through the gears (only doing this to test), and down through the gears it will go to the right RPM when you put your foot down but as soon as you let it off again it's like the car selects neutral .. there's no deceleration at all (besides the loss of inertia). If you left the car in drive you almost don't notice except on the highway when you let up because there's still no deceleration and you have to use the breaks even for the smallest 'slow downs' - annoying as all hell for both parties i.e myself and car(s) behind.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I presume you have checked to see that the trans fluid level is correct ??? Second step would be to check if any diagnostic codes have been set (bridge OBD terminals 5 & 6 to see what codes have been set - check other posts to see how to do this). Your problem may be that you have no TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) lockup.