Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0L SS exhaust costs/performance question

H

HSV1992

Different places recommend the different style of headers either tri-y or 4-1.
There are cars with 400 to 600hp with tri-y's, there was a 5L s/c VL in street commodores with 600 odd rwhp with tri-y's.
I would put 4 into 1's on a LS1 not a 5.0

vrberlina94

Reaction score
HSV1992 said:
I would put 4 into 1's on a LS1 not a 5.0
Under what basis? Lots of ppl run try-y's on LS1's aswell.........also what about on the VR/S/T strokers....then what would you run.........?

H

HSV1992

vrberlina94 said:
Under what basis? Lots of ppl run try-y's on LS1's aswell.........also what about on the VR/S/T strokers....then what would you run.........?

I myself run tri-y's and will continue to use them (they are 1 5/8, but when the 355 goes in they will be the larger 1 3/4). Alot of LS1 owners run 4-1 and have found better gains in performance and sound.

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
This V8 part of the forum doesnt seem to get visted that much but I'll try tagging this on anyway.

Looking aaround for zorst and extractors for my VTSS 5ltr auto. Been quoted $745 for pacies fitted and anywhere between $550 and $745 for various twin 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" zorsts.

Guy at the zorst shop near buy where I got a bit of work done on my VN reckons some other brand system that are somewhere between a 2.25 and 2.5 so not sure exactly what it is exactly and quoted $660 but I aint pushed him yet. He had the same car as me with the exact same system and I know it was the sweetest sounding 5ltr I'd ever heard. I think i the brand was something force if anyones heard of it before ?

Otherwise everyone either swears by 2.25 and says no way 2.5 or the other way around. Spose its a personal preference thing but itd be nice to see some dynos with each option although I doubt thats going to happen

On a side note what would be an approximate cost to get the computer reprogrammed/retune the donk ?

S

scooterjohansen

I have been reading this for a while and would like to comment. I have a vt 5.0l and difilippo 4 into 1s with twin factory cats into a single 3 inch. Dyno with this mod alone was up 15 RWKW. The muffler is a hot dog and it sounds oh so nice. Anyway I noticed overall torque is up and it is soo much better to drive on the highway and around the street. I am in the short future building a stroker so the main reason I went this way is so I do not have to replace the zorst or headers. Anyway I love it. Just my thoughts.. Di Fips fitted 1k. I was lucky to have found a second hand 3 inch so that didn/t cost much at all... 5.0L sound heaps better than gen III anyway,...

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
i'm no mathematician, but twin 2.5 should = 5 in.

For your car, if your planning on keeping it relatively stock, twin 2.25 into single 3 would be perfect.

I've got twin 2.5 on mine, overkill for a stock 5L, but perfect for what'll be happening later.

and agree with the post above, my zorst also gained 15rwkw, and thats with more backpressure than would be suitable.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
no 2x2.5 does not = 5 :)

2x2.5 = 3 sounds about right.. you have to remember that last .75inch outwards covers alot of area...

using pi x r x r to work out the area of a circle...

2x2.25 gives approx 4sq in of flow space
3in gives 4.7sq in
2x2.5 give 4.9sq in
5in is 7.85sq in

So you see... 2x2.5 does not = 5 :) Yay for maths!

Oh and to maintain the best flow... 2x2.25 into single 3in is going to get sluggish flow through the tip, 2x2.5 into single 3in is going to give the cleanest flow.

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
TAILS83 said:
been quoted for my vp clubbie, $700 approx for a set of pacies(the best by far)
$220 per cat, gonna go twin cats, i already have twin 2.25in cat back. i'll keep the cat back zorst.
twin 2.5 is equal to 3in, so twin 2.25 should be equal to about 2.75in which is big enough for a stock 180kw motor.

Keep an eye out on Ebay. I just picked up a set of Pacemakers for my VS ute for $500.00. And I have an idea these are heat coated too. I didn't order the Y piece as I already have one which made it $50 cheaper, and freight was $23 from Victoria. This was from a mass supplier too. Not some backyard individual.

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
yup theres a store/user called 'online performance autos' I think it was selling some stuff on ebay not badly priced. If your a DIY'er for thing then its certainly a cheaper way to go.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I can vouch for Online Performance, He is the cheapest I have come across I got a set of Pacies for a 5.0L for $540.00 from memory the cheapest other prices I got was around $630.00+ and you can either use Ebay or Phone him and you will get what you need in about 3 Days. I have bought 2 sets of Paceis of him and a system it's all good.