Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.7 Problem please help

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
did you take it easy and wore the motor in? or did you start it up and flogged the guts out of her?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would never bolt a crate motor straight in. I would strip it and at the very least do rings and bearings . While it's apart, measure and check everything. But that's just me.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Check the oil it's fine that's the first thing I did do. So how do I dignoise this problem ?

Simple check you can do yourself are:-

1. Compression test - go buy a tool from Repco/SuperCrap/Autoshite or any good auto shop. Disconnect the coilpacks on both sides, remove one spark plug at a time, insert tool and kick her over a few times. Compression should be between 160-200psi for all cylinders. anything lower and the rings ar farked...rebuild time.
  2. Valve/rocker/spring check - Remove the coilpacks, remove the rocer covers, bigass sockect and bar on the front crank bolt and turn the motor by hand. Every valve/rocker should open and close @ the same height. If no, remove the rocker, compress the pushrod...it should have some give, no, possibly a farked lifter(Heads need to come off to fix that :( ). Yes, remove the pushrods and make sure they straight(not bent...), so roll them on a flat leve surface tey should be perfect. Springs - You need a tool to remove them and must have the cylinder at the top of the stroke. if you remove the spring and the cylinder is down... you will drop the valve into the motor and your farked.
  3. Oil in the radiator - Head gasket=heads off($$$) Cracked head(s)=Replace($$$/1$$$) Cracked block=your farked(3$$$-7$$$)

Seriously... Take the car to a GOOD LSx mechanic...

Disclaimer: I am no mechanic and my anything said here is up to you to take it or leave it...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I would never bolt a crate motor straight in. I would strip it and at the very least do rings and bearings . While it's apart, measure and check everything. But that's just me.

You would strip a new engine and do rings and bearings?

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
White smoke is normaly oil . Blue smoke is normaly fuel related injectors could be flooding .

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You would strip a new engine and do rings and bearings?

Who said it was new? It is a crate motor, which can be bought second hand, apart from the fact that it was sitting for a year.

White smoke is normaly oil . Blue smoke is normaly fuel related injectors could be flooding .

Other way around, as RiCeY said.

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
does it blow oil out the breather tube if it does got buggered rings or if it blows the dipstick out then its farked. Some thing major wrong. I got the same problem just different circumstances. Do a compression test to confirm it.