Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 litre block?

boostedjigger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP ute
Ok guys, bit curious about this one,

I recently had a vs caprice I stripped for parts, I pulled the 5.0 litre and box out for my hilux.

I've had a few holdens in my time and I know the block has the size cast on it. ie. 253, 308, 5.0

This one has no casting or it has been ground off...

What's the story there?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I could be wrong here. I thought they stopped doing that around the time they stopped the carby motors. I've always noticed them on the various old engines my dad has had around over the years 202's, 253's and so on. But I've never seen 304 on the efi block. But then again I havn't ever looked for it.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
up to early VR, 304 engines did have 5.0L cast into the block. Some VL's still had '308' on the block, even though they were a 304 - Holden was just using up the old stock

But when Holden began producing the blocks clearanced for the 5.7L stroker cranks for HSV - VR onward, I believe they deleted the engine capacity casting on the block

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
up to early VR, 304 engines did have 5.0L cast into the block. Some VL's still had '308' on the block, even though they were a 304 - Holden was just using up the old stock

But when Holden began producing the blocks clearanced for the 5.7L stroker cranks for HSV - VR onward, I believe they deleted the engine capacity casting on the block

That sounds logical,
I have a spare VN block and it has 5.0 clearly cast onto the side of it. (have thought about modifying it to say 5.8 aka 355")

boostedjigger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP ute

That makes sense now..

Cheers guys.

Kristie08

Reaction score
Members Ride
??
Hi, is the vr statesman v8 a 304 or 308 do you know?
Cheers