Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 Litre Radiator (Auto)

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
The original 19 year old brass/copper radiator has been repaired a few times now and I have been advised to get another one. Did that and bought an ADR branded brass radiator. Visually it's quite similar and is meant to fit from VL to VS, BUT when I installed it, it sits 10mm higher than the original. Took it out and grabbed the tape measure and confirmed that it's 470mm high while the original is 460. So what one may ask, well once you fit the CAI you can feel resistance when pushing the bonnet shut. Even the original rad has a scuff mark on the CAI from the plastic retainer that holds the sound/heat insulation under the bonnet. I don't want an alloy one as I only hear bad reports about them, so being in Adelaide can anyone recommend where I should try ? Was thinking a recore ? Haven't tried Mr GM but I suspect that it is an obsolete part.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Get rid of the crappy hot air intake?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Talk to the person you got it off and ask why it's different?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd replace it with an alloy/plastic one. They're cheap and seem to last just as well. They have pretty much the same cooling ability too apparently. The newer design is improved which provides more surface area, as opposed to the older copper design (with the better heat dissipation properties of copper).

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks EYY, will keep it in mind. Current issue is the extra 10mm in height....surprising GM had tight tolerances but I guess V8's were not as common as the old V6'S in their time.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah dunno. My vs statesman s3 v8 has the plastic/alloy radiator and cold air intake and doesn't have any clearance issues.

On my s1 vs v6 statesman, the bonnet didn't quite have enough clearance with the factory supercharged CAI and was difficult to close. It sorted itself out though within a couple of days. What height is your radiator?

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah dunno. My vs statesman s3 v8 has the plastic/alloy radiator and cold air intake and doesn't have any clearance issues.

On my s1 vs v6 statesman, the bonnet didn't quite have enough clearance with the factory supercharged CAI and was difficult to close. It sorted itself out though within a couple of days. What height is your radiator?

Old rad is 460....new is 470mm....surprisingly 10 mm does make all the diff. Bonnet will close but give it 12 months and the CAI will be looking pretty sad.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Mines been touching the bonnet for over a year now and it's fine, no marks or damage at all - it sits against the bonnet lining iirc. I'll check the height of my radiators and get back to you tomorrow night if I remember.