Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 warning lights, fans on, temp needle doesn't move...but no errors!

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
Alright so this has been happening for a while now. At first it was intermittent, but now it's always. When I start the car the engine light, oil light, traction control light, airbag light and abs lights all come on as well as the fans, and the temp needle doesn't move. This all happened in one go, not one after another, all at the same time. I had a mate connect his scanner to my car and it came up with nothing. Another member mentioned that it might be the abs module. I'd just like to know what others think before I go spending $200 on something that might not be the problem.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but my alarm hasn't been working for a while either. I know the siren itself works coz I just replaced it and when I disconnect the battery you can hear it very faintly. I have it switched off for the moment in case one day it starts working out of the blue and screams it's head off in the middle of the night. So the alarm light doesn't even flash and when I put a test light on it it seemed as though there was power going in to the actual module, but none going out. All the fuses are fine. Also to limit confusion, the immobiliser light still flashes, but the alarm light doesn't.

Cheers.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Checked the alternator? I lost gauges and gut a whole host of warning lights when mine was on the way out.

I had the alternator checked not that long ago, but I'll get the brother in law to check it out again.

Yeah I went out to have a look but I'm going to take a guess and say the connector is underneath the module? For some reason I can't seem to lift it even when I unscrew the two nuts on the side. Might have to wait for the brother in law for that one too. I don't want to break anything as I need the car tonight lol. I'll get back to you when it happens.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You have to slide the red tab towards the engine before you can unplug it.

ch1mp

Reaction score
Members Ride
But as said above, it could be a faulty alternator, had the same problem once. Check the voltage at the battery terminals with engine running, it should be around 14.2-14.4 volts, if it is much lower or higher then the alternator, or at least the voltage regulator is stuffed.

Yeah next time the brother in law comes over i'll get him to bring his multimeter. He's a mechanic so he'll be able to suss out if it's a power issue.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
battery, alternator (or cables to alternator OR regulator), abs module connector and/or abs module seem to cause this one.

post back when you figure it out!

Hold MODE and UP when starting car to go to diagnostic mode, from here you can hit mode until the voltmeter comes up - while running the car should produce 14+V

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From VT Electrical Faults:

Instrument warning lamps (ABS) - The ABS module consists of 2 main parts. A hydraulic unit and an electrical unit. The most common failure seen with the module is when the ABS Electronic module fails. This often results in a myriad of dash lights being illuminated, not just the ABS light. When the ABS Electronic module fails, it can also interrupt scanning procedures for the ABS, BCM (Body Control Module) and PCM (Powertrain Control Module).

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
OP will also note his A/C may not work unable to enable/disable power mode, fuel gauge not working and a few other things.

computer go nuuuuts