Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L V8 on petrol AND gas

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
You use more LPG then petrol so while the roughly half price seems good you will be filling up more often on LPG.

Very true mate. My EL averages 13L/100km on petrol, and 16L/100kms on gas, but given the price difference between the fuels it more than makes up for it. I might get 400kms out of my gas tank, so yes I do fill up more, but again, well worth it.

My six is for pay, my eight for play.

My 5L VP on the other hand gets around 17-19L/100kms, sometimes down to 13L/100kms on country roads, which is why I'm not using her as my daily. My interest in gas for the 5L isn't for fuel economy. I'm hoping to get a few more ponies out of her, and I am considering a supercharger or turbo, and I am very interested in spiking the charge with some gas for some higher octane. I was wondering if anyone else has gone down this road before with their 5Ls. I know that Orbital do kits for the XR6Ts which benefit a lot from the extra octane, and the results from my N/A EL are very interesting.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
On my EL, the gas gets injected just before the TB, leaving the motor untouched (I don't know what's inside). Such a setup might be worth exploring on a boosted 5L. Like I mentioned before, TD fourbies do it, and classic aviation motors used to use various forms of liquids/gas (such as methanol and nitro) to boost their octane rating of their fuels for that extra oomph..

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I had a Gas Research throttle body on my VQ 5L.

Once tuned it made 140rwkw on petrol and about 125rwkw on LPG. 10L/100km on petrol and 12L/100km on lpg on the freeway.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
If your going to go LPG for performance your better off removing the petrol side of things completely and going proper gas injection etc. The older mixers only dampen performance really.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
I would recommend vapour injection or liquid injection if you have the cash for the liquid systems , depends if you are looking for power or economy from your car , avoid the impco 425 setups as these mixers will give problems when mounted on there side and loss of power along with most ring or simple or complex mixers .
I have many years of experience in setting most systems from simple to vapour injection to GRA single and twin throttle body systems .

bevzan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
i just finished getting my Vs S3 ute (304) upgraded from crappy sprint system to a custom vapour injection.
My engine runs the batch injection setup so i was unable to go liquid lpg.
I had it installed so i could bolt on a M122 later on without having fuel issues.(will go straight lpg when blower installed) which meant decent lpg ecu (piggy back on stock ecu)which has boost flow stuff in the tuning software. A good flowing convertor, which i have been told is supposed to be as noisy as it is (constant thud thud thud) 30kw flowed lpg injectors and a really long tune in period (2 hours driving around testing all loads). Cost a smidge under 3k, and runs really well, feels more responsive and is definatly better on lpg than sprint gas carby setup, (lucky to get 250km on sprint, i get easy 350 to 400km on vapour) just waiting on some manifold bits so i can get the eaton setup ready. i am old fella so dont need 500hp, aiming for reliable 300hp. Will hopefully convert it to auto later on as i have issues driving manuals for long periods, so may look at swaping getrag 290 setup (127000km) for an auto that can handle the supercharger setup, until then happy to cruise around in 4th gear doing 30kmh and not chugging, gives the same angry roar when i boot it with either fuel.
Well thats my bit Cheers