Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5lr belt sizes

w1r3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Hi guys
I don't have a workshop manual with the belt sizes listed and were not able to Google any answers
I need to replace 2
One is just the power steering where the 2nd belt pushes the alternator and water pump
Would having a vortech blower change the belt sizes where I should measure each one to be sure??
I am getting a belt slipping noise when the revs are up but when I either put the clutch in or shift up to 5th it slowly stops it starting to piss me off.. Could it be the water pump??

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
If the belt is adjusted correctly, first check for contamination, second, check the belt is the right thickness, I had a problem once where I could never get the belt to adjust correctly, finally found that the actual V width of the belt was 1 or 2mm too narrow, the wrong size was fitted.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Or, if replacing, just go to an auto shop, preferably with the old ones and get the guys behind the counter to look them up in their parts books.

w1r3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Good point. I have no idea what the guy before me did but at least as I work the through the gremlins it improves. It's just all the small things but it's still not cheap.. I also think the fella just decided to change the dash cluster without sorting the wiring as the fuel gauge is not reliable and needs a tap to wake up. And the speed warning never worked.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
I've been trying to get rid of a squeal on my 5L drive belts for a while too. I need the belt tighter but unable to find a belt that fits....I have all standard pulleys etc.. I've made a thread about it months ago. Never found a solution.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I also had a VS V8 that had the wrong A/C belt fitted, it was too long. was unable to wind the adjuster out far enough.

If you are lucky, the part numbers (that include the length) maybe still visible on your belts.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The standard belts are 11A1130 (for both power steering and drive belts), and 13A0840 for the A/C belt - the last four digits are the belt length in mm, the first two are the belt width. Can't comment on the supercharger impact. You should also be aware that late in the life of the VS 5l V8, Holden put out a kit consisting of a dual water pump pulley and two belts. With this kit installed, instead of the power steering belt going directly from the crankshaft pulley to the power steering pulley, the belt goes around the crankshaft pulley, water pump and power steering pump. I had a lot of trouble with my 383 Calais trowing power steering belts until I installed that kit. It could also solve your squeal problem if it's power steering belt-related.