Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 speed V6 3.0L 3-4 shift flare, wassup here?

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
i have a 2010 VE V6 commodore 3.0 SIDI with 6L50 tranny, fluid is nice and red still with slight browning as expected with around 30,000km since last service, no burnt smell at all but it has a 3-4 flare issue most of the time over the last month, not all the time though, its random, around 80% of the time it flares or thinks about what to do when it lets go of 3rd, revs go up around 300rpm before it hits 4th then eventually engages, when it engages it engages and does not slip even under full power, other times it changes faultlessly 3-4. hot or cold doesn't seem to change it. all other gear changes are nice and firm and quick without issues. changing manually does same thing. tranny does not slip in any gear once gear is engaged. tcc appears to operate normally.
its done around 155,000km, using tech2 it has codes in the computer of P0842, P0872, P0877, i reset them and they came back after first drive, tried resetting once again and came back straight away. trans level all ok.
i pulled the tranny out last week and put a sonnax zip kit in it and found the 4 discs in the tehcm were all torn so i replaced them with new seals and discs, cleaned out the filters in there, checked valves for being free, blew it out and put it all back together with new case to valve body seal kit hoping that would fix it. no more than usual wear and tear crap in the bottom of the pan and on magnet, nothing that stands out, looks like a well kept tranny. ive serviced hundreds of trannies and this is one of the better ones.
didn't go any further than the valve body and the oil pump removal for the zip kit.
after several days driving it, using tech2 no codes are in the computer any more so what i did has fixed that part.
but gear changes are not consistent in feel, like sometimes full throttle it will do chirpies into second gear it changes that harsh, other times softer change.
also at times 2-3 times per week, it seems to default to 2nd gear when it changes from 3rd to 4th, it will start the change from 3rd to 4th then all of a sudden go to 2nd and get stuck there when in drive for rest of the journey. it will go into first when you pull up at the lights and you take off again it won't go above 2nd gear. like it goes in limp home mode but i'm used to that in 3rd gear not 2nd gear in these which has me stumped.
no codes are logged at all when it does this. you have to stop, put it in park, turn engine off and back on again to make it change normally again.
starting to lean towards a faulty tehcm?
i have missed something, any idea what you think maybe the issue in here? doesn't appear any better than before i pulled it apart with 3-4 flare still there intermittently.
attached are some graphs of the gear changes, you can see the flare on 3-4 and the extended shift time. one image is a normal shift pattern on it.
any ideas??

Attachments

• normal shift.jpg
    normal shift.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230720_160848.jpg
    20230720_160848.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230720_161133.jpg
    20230720_161133.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 63

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Time to get it Serviced again, and/or re-built,

Prices range between $3k > $6K, depending on the condition internally.

I had my 6L80e (behing a L77) done some time ago, and it cost $5.5k for a full re-build, considering it had done 220,000 k/s,
The Auto Tech said that it had done well for over 200,000 k/s,
He did say, if it was behind a 3.0L, it would of only lasted 180,000 k/s.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
measure your accelerator pedal sensor as well

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
whether aps is confusing tcm

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
with wrong input? wouldn't that also confuse the throttle body?
yes
costs nothing except time to monitor it during problem areas
it is unlikely
but is a wearing item

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
throttle position is fine. went out this morning, shifts were perfect, turned engine off started it up again and off i went, all screwy again with 3-4 flares.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
one thing i have noticed though when shifting gears manually when throttle over around 50% and i shift 3-4 it is perfect, but when i do it below 50% thats when it flares.