Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6L LS2 clubsport oil filter

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
used the 5w-30 mate. i can't see why 10w-60 is a bad idea though? used 5w-30 because we had a 205l at work... met hsv's spec, so why not. but yeah, the 10w-60 is just gunna be a better all rounder i think. give you the tip though, don't buy the edge in 205's.... it will give you a heart attack price wise....

10W-60 here - CASTROL EDGE 2009 | PRODUCT

5W-30 here - CASTROL EDGE 2009 | PRODUCT

good oil either way, castrol edge = quality. the 5W-30 being that bit thinner may burn some, thats all. not that a little oil usage is anything to be worried about

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
yeh think i mite go the 10w-60 hey...better all round protection and at the price you cant really fault it :p

was a bit hesitant about the 5w-30 being too thin, and while i no hsv recommend it, i think a higher viscosity oil would be better suited for it.

cheers for the input guys :thumbsup:

Ryan

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Curious though as to why HSV and Holden especially would do thousands of hours of research on which oil viscosity to use, and then people seem to want to change away from there recommendations. I understand minor change eg 5w/30 replaced with 5w/40 or 10w/40 but 10w/60 is a fair change.

When people are saying that the 10w/60 oil seems better than 5w/30, how are you gauging the difference.

Im sure Holden used more than just listening for rattles on cold startup in the morning. They put millions into R&D.

Not disputing anyones opinion as I am sure there will be justified reasons, just very curious as to the basis on which you say one oil is better than another and why you choose one oil over another viscosity.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Curious though as to why HSV and Holden especially would do thousands of hours of research on which oil viscosity to use, and then people seem to want to change away from there recommendations. I understand minor change eg 5w/30 replaced with 5w/40 or 10w/40 but 10w/60 is a fair change.

When people are saying that the 10w/60 oil seems better than 5w/30, how are you gauging the difference.

Im sure Holden used more than just listening for rattles on cold startup in the morning. They put millions into R&D.

Not disputing anyones opinion as I am sure there will be justified reasons, just very curious as to the basis on which you say one oil is better than another and why you choose one oil over another viscosity.

I find with lots of manufacturers, HSV included that they are basing their oil choice around whats available at the time the car is new and they are only worried about getting the car past the warranty period.
Manufacturers should also set viscosity levels for the engines as they age a bit.
Why esle do oil manufacturers make oil for older engines but nothing is ever said in the cars manual about using a higher viscosity as engine gets older
The LS engines are very prone to early morning rattles especially in winter and this seems to get worse with age, so as long as you use synthetic oils there shouldn't be a problem with using a higher viscosity rating.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
I find with lots of manufacturers, HSV included that they are basing their oil choice around whats available at the time the car is new and they are only worried about getting the car past the warranty period.
Manufacturers should also set viscosity levels for the engines as they age a bit.
Why esle do oil manufacturers make oil for older engines but nothing is ever said in the cars manual about using a higher viscosity as engine gets older
The LS engines are very prone to early morning rattles especially in winter and this seems to get worse with age, so as long as you use synthetic oils there shouldn't be a problem with using a higher viscosity rating.

So are you saying that as long as the oil of your choosing is synthetic, then it doesn't matter what viscosity is chosen or how high you go????? I don't see your conclusion as being accurate nor a valid reason for going to thicker oil. Once again, Im sure there are people who have more valid reasons than this!

There obviously is a threshold of how high a viscosity your car should be ingesting, but im just curious as to how everybody comes to the conclusion that their engine is now old and its now time to put in thicker oil. Im definetely in agreement about older engines using slightly thicker oil in the right circumstance. Interested as to what factors influence people in their choice of engine oil.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
well i certainly wouldnt class mine as having being old haha its got 29000km on it atm :whistling

but i do want an oil that i can keep using until i eventually get rid of the car, so 10w-60 i think would be the better way to go...in terms of classifying a car as old motor wise i would say above 150,000km is thicker oil territory ;)

Ryan

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
let's be honest guys, a thicker oil takes more power to drive the oil pump thats pumping it, which means less power on the engine dyno, and slightly higher fuel usage i guess. lots of manufacter's now use oil thats really a bit thin to gain power & fuel economy to win people in the brochures, even if it does sacrafise engine life a bit. ls* series engine's arent the best known engine for tight tolerance's, and they're prone to a bit of oil usage, and as has been said the early cold morning rattle's.

i'm not bagging the engines out, not by any means. but i'd keep the thin thin thin oil's for the japanese type engines that scream they're heads off and are a bit tighter in tolerances. i think you'll find a thicker oil will hold oil pressure better (as has been proven in mutiple ve 6L's i've worked on) and less oil usage, which i haven't yet proven. (thin oil wasn't given enough time to see if it would be burnt anyway)

but at the end of the day, it comes down to personal opinions too. if you check the castrol link i gave you, it reccomends the 10w-60 for all holden v8's after 1995...... and has a picture of a vt ss series 2 with the ls1 engine in it... so it must be ok for the ls* series engine's. the 5w30 is shown for more jap cars, as i said like wrx's and simular stuff.

anyway, its ryan's car, and i think he'll do his research, and do what he thinks is best in his opinion. good to see some feedback though guys

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
So are you saying that as long as the oil of your choosing is synthetic, then it doesn't matter what viscosity is chosen or how high you go????? I don't see your conclusion as being accurate nor a valid reason for going to thicker oil. Once again, Im sure there are people who have more valid reasons than this!

There obviously is a threshold of how high a viscosity your car should be ingesting, but im just curious as to how everybody comes to the conclusion that their engine is now old and its now time to put in thicker oil. Im definetely in agreement about older engines using slightly thicker oil in the right circumstance. Interested as to what factors influence people in their choice of engine oil.

I agree with your comments and didn't mean any viscosity but as the engine get older the viscosity should creep up the scale.
Car manufacturers aren't always the best at choosing oil for your "needs".
As someone said all the manufacturers have mainly gone to thinner oils in the search for better fuel economy.
Look at the ecotec, in the VT they recommended 20w50 then with no changes to the engine hardware they changed to 10w30or40 in the search for better fuel economy and then in the VY they increased the sump by a litre and chnaged the service to 15000k instead of 10,000k.
All done to try and beat Ford who were doing similar.
With regards to VT-VX change the blocks, pistons, crank, conrods are all the same yet totally different oil.

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
surfwagon nailed my point 100%.... sometimes just because a manufacturer writes something, don't always take it for gospel truth... they have other factors to contend with, and they're decisions aren't always the best in our mind regarding these..... i'd rather a thicker oil protecting better and protecting more and putting a little more fuel in for that reason. surfwagon has showed a lovely example of what i meant.... if only the rep system was still in place... but yeah surfwagon has got my point.....

bondy, you should be right mate

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
yeh points taken fellas ;)

i was thinking along similar lines hey, and yeh the 10w-60 has been bought and will go in the car within a few weeks :thumbsup:

u guys have both made very valid points about the manufacturers using thinner oils in an attempt to fool the consumer, in terms of trying to attain lower fuel figures and better power etc..and when chosing your oil you should consider other factors like your driving style, average distance driven and those sorta things all impact on the wear and tear of the motor and ultimately what oil is "best suited" to your car.

good discussion this has been haha :thumbsup:

cheers
ryan