Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9 in holden vp

Oppy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 25th Anniversary Edition
yer use a spacer, my mate cut the parcel shelf in his VR to fit 6x9s, he got defected and couldnt get a road worthey cos the shelf was cut.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
. .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
yes they fit and without a spacer too thats the most ugliest thing invented
you don't need to cut metal as you have heard its illegal
if your doing it yourself get spacers

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
Disaster attemp to fit 6x9!!!

I recently fitted 6x9's to the shelf of my VP. To start with, all the wood in the shelf just crumbled when i put the slightest pressure on it, and being so keen to have them mounted flush, i cut into the metal:bang: and now i have no where insert the screws to hold the speakers down, and the magnet on the speakers touch the metal aswell.....which can't be good- so now i gotta get a whole new shelf from somewhere!!! "Stealthy"-your outside speakers look alright, they dont sit to high, what type of spacer or pod have you used for this, and was there any speaker hole underneath them to begin with, i ask because your 2nd set sit up so high. Any help you can give me would be great.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Daniel.B ..... In the VPs there will be a round hole in the metal part of the parcel shelf (easily seen from the boot) thats just spot welded into place. All you need to do is insert a flat-blade screwdriver and break the 3 or 4 spot welds, theres your perfectly legal holes.
After youve removed the peices of metal grab a permanent marker and mark the cutouts on the wood part of the parcel shelf. This is so you know what part to cut out so the holes in the wood match up with the metal holes.

Next you'll wanna remove the rear seats and then remove the parcel shelf, you can either keep using your one or buy another from the wreckers etc. If you do buy another one you'll need to reinstall it and mark the holes again.

Anyways cut out the holes in the wood, a little bigger than what youve marked is ideal.

The spacers are available at most car audio retailers, even Repco or Super Cheap Auto.

Heres a good example of what ive used for customers cars in the past, and should allow most 6x9s to fit.

Attachments

• APF69LGR.jpg
    APF69LGR.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 573

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
. .

Last edited:

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
Thanks mate, yeah i saw those holes that were spot welded in, but only after i had stuffed everything up. I should have been a little more patient instead of just rushing into it, i never even took the shelf out during the instalation, which i defenitaly should have done- Have you got speakers up front? With the later model VR/VS pods, do i have to cut a hole in each door, or do the speakers mount in the actual pods themselves? Thanks again Stealthy, im sure with your advice and lessons learned, i'll have my 6x9 sittin sweet in no time.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
. .

Last edited: