Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9 inch speakers in VY front doors

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
I went to supercheap because they had a good sale on. I will return them and look for some 6.5" at jb hifi or autobarn. Strange, I saw hundreds of really good reviews for the sony ones I have. 260W 3 way speakers. Why are people saying 6x9 inch is crap? I chose them because a mate has them in the front doors of his VT.

6x9 are ok for your parcel shelf if you don't want a sub , I had them in mine then went to 7x10 ,both hooked up to an amp , now I just fitted good 6.5" splits , sounds way better . try looking on ebay they are way cheaper than the store prices for known brands.

TheDatsun

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S
What do you guys think of these? Alpine 6" Speakers - Speakers - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

6.5" according to Alpine's website. Only 2 way but high quality tweeter. 240W is less peak power than the xplods but still heaps and 80W RMS. I think I'll go grab these tomorrow and make some easy foam speaker mounts. Hopefully the door trims and the side floor trims aren't as much of a headache to take apart as the stock stereo was for me today... Put in a new head unit but the aeropro fascia doesn't seem to fit... Made for VY but doesn't snap in place

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
for that price I go with these ones of the two ,
Pioneer 6" 350 Watt Component Speakers
TSA1605C , 2 bucks cheaper and sound way better , or get them on ebay for under 100 posted.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
I ran mine to the top of the door and fitted them in the plastic side window vent , they come with 2 options free standing mounts or plush ones . you choose.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You need splits in the front, and they need to be amped too, otherwise you're wasting your time and money. I put splits in mine without amping them, and I was happy with the improvement. But since I amplified them I don't reckon I could live without an amp lol.

6x9's are pretty much considered garbage due to their oval shape. A circular cone is much more rigid than an oval cone by nature, and will provide much better sq.

Some cheap 6.5" coaxials should be good for the rear since they're only for fill. Spend a bit of money on a sub and you'll be happy :rockon:

TheDatsun

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S
Thanks EYY that's exactly what I'm doing and I'll pick up the splits tomorrow! I have a JVC kw av51 2 din head unit, 1400w pioneer sub champion series, 2 sony 3 way xplods for the rear (like you said, for fill...) and a 5 channel option audio amp and it shall be maaad

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
When i installed my system i put the tweeters in the stock location under the top dash panel.

IMG00052-20090718-1652.jpg