Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9 installation

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
metal plates should just punch through prolly easiest with a hammer and old screw driver or chisole

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
What if i got all 6 good ones :confused:

I was planning to replace all 6. Is this a mistake or what? Also planning to run them off a new headunit. My plans were to replace my current kenwood headunit for a 2007 pioneer one. Then upgrade the speakers as far as my money permits. assuming it would all run ok off the headunit?

Or am i making a big mistake?

Was thinking all pioneer speakers to btw if it matters.

you would be better off getting 4 speakers and spending the extra money on the front ones and maybe getting an amp for them.

if you are not getting a sub get some 6x9's for the back and some splits for the front. run the back speakers off the head unit and the front ones off an amp. if you have enough money power the 6x9's off the amp as well.

also note that SOME pioneer head units USED to be able to have two of their channels bridged to run a small sub. i don't know if they still offer head units that have this feature.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So is it really bad that im running 5 speakers off the headunit? Will it damage it if you run the 5/6 on them? Or are you just suppose to run 4. im confused.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
So is it really bad that im running 5 speakers off the headunit? Will it damage it if you run the 5/6 on them? Or are you just suppose to run 4. im confused.

they are designed to power four loads. each of which is 4 ohms or more. so technically if you connected the speakers in series and not parallel it won't do any harm to the head unit.

if you have your heart set on 6 speakers. get 6 speakers. it's not going to sound any better.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
how do i cut the parcle shelf? do i use a stanly knife also how do i remove the metal plates underneath?

Thanks

go get some grilles first i got mine from northfield probably get them anywhere then cut out the parcel shelf with a stanley knife leaving little bits so you have something to hold up the grilles. it should look something like in the picture thats how i did mine. get s screwdriver intot he metal plate things and lever them off.

ive put 6*9's in my parcel shelf and left all the other standard speakers in.
i run the 6*9's off an amp in the boot.
Did everything my self its very easy new head unit and speakers in parcel tray without cutting a single wire and no hacking involved.

Attachments

• speaker grilles.JPG
    speaker grilles.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 590

kingvt

Reaction score
parcle shelf propblems

ey, i have justr bought 6x9 n i am having difficulties removing the parcle shelf in my vy. is thier a stop to step inctruction manual that anyone can give me or help me in detail? also, do i use a stanley knife to cut the top of the parcle shelf?

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
What if i got all 6 good ones :confused:

I was planning to replace all 6. Is this a mistake or what? Also planning to run them off a new headunit. My plans were to replace my current kenwood headunit for a 2007 pioneer one. Then upgrade the speakers as far as my money permits. assuming it would all run ok off the headunit?

Or am i making a big mistake?

Was thinking all pioneer speakers to btw if it matters.

The perfect senario would be for u to buy a GOOD quality set of 6" splits for the front, mout the speaker in the factory location and the tweeter up high on the dash.

In the rear u only realy need a pair of fair quality 6x9"s for rear fill.

I have always been a fan of pioneer head decks but never ofr their speakers, if u spend i little more u could buy some focal access speakers or even lower end boston. These will sound much better off the HU as they are more efficient.

Down the track look at getting a 4ch amp for the speakers.

BTW no i wouldnt run 6 speakers off a HU, it is only designed to run 4 max

My 2c lol :thumbsup:

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
ey, i have justr bought 6x9 n i am having difficulties removing the parcle shelf in my vy. is thier a stop to step inctruction manual that anyone can give me or help me in detail? also, do i use a stanley knife to cut the top of the parcle shelf?

I uded a stanley knife, make sure u cut INSIDE the indent for the speaker grille

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon

The head unit is designed to handle a load of a certain size, usually 4Ohm per channel. Most speakers are 4Ohm, so one speaker per channel is perfect. Running 2 speakers on one channel alters the impedence (resistance) of the load on that channel. Running them in parallel would give a 2Ohm load, thus drawing more current than the head unit is designed to handle. That's where the danger lies. There is a big risk of doing damage to your head unit.
The only safe way to do it would be running them in series, which is not really recommended. It would give an 8Ohm load, thus not drawing enough current to drive the speakers efficiently.
If you really want to run 6 speakers then you need amps, a 4 channel and a 2 channel, either daisy chained or use RCA "Y" splitters to get the signal from the head unit to both amps. (Or just a 2 channel for the extra 2 speakers, running the original 4 off the head unit. Or a 4 channel, running 4 speakers off that and 2 speakers off the head unit.)

Anyway I just thought I'd explain why it is bad to run 6 (or 5!) speakers off your head unit... everyone has just been saying it's bad, now you know why it is bad.

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

You can cut ou the centre section with the stanley knife then cut slots around the lip for your grills, they have tabs on the and you just push the tabs thru the slots and fold them over.