Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9 Spacers for parcel shelf?

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Looking at putting some 6x9's in the rear but just need some spacers...
How high would they have to be to clear?
Where is the best space to get them? eBay? Audio store? What $$$ would I be looking at?
I wouldn't mind angled ones...or should I just make some out of thick MDF? Only thing is it would be way too hard to make them angled...

Cheers

Vs_Esteem

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Esteem Series 2 Auto
hi mate,i just got some mdf umpainted 6'9 spacers at repco for $8 dollers,they arnt that thick but fit nice & snugg in the parcel shelf

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
It will depend on the mounting depth of the 6x9s you wanna install, try to stay away from those cheap plastic spacers, and go with MDF ones like Vs_Esteem said above.

You may be able to get away with the one pair of those MDF spacers, but you might need 2 sets.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
You can actually mount the 6x9's flush with the factory shelf. It involves removing the steel 6inch speaker plate underneath. And b4 everyone jumps up and down saying it makes the car unroadworthy, just consider that the steel speaker plate is not part of structural metal. I have had an engineer and a police mechanic confirm that removing this piece DOES NOT make the car unroadworthy.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Cheers guys for info. Might get some from ripco sounds good, that way I can always put the 6's back in there if it doesn't sound all that good with 2 woofers in the boot.

Then again sitting them flush with the shelf would be good. lol.
How would I go about doing this Luke? Are there rivets that I can drill out for this plate?
Can't quite remember last time it was out.
Or is it out with the angle grinder?

Cheers again.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
NO i use a big blade screwdriver and a hammer to prise out the 2 spot welds towords the front of the car, then i lift the speaker plate up and down very quickly to undo the other two spot welds toward the back of the car. Then i mark out a piece of 18mm MDF that is about half an inch wider than the 6x9 hole and temporarily mount it where the speaker plate was. I then cut out the 6x9 hole on the parcel shelf, then mount it back in over the MDF and mark the 6x9 hole on the mdf, remove shelf and MDF panel, cut 6x9 hole in MDF panel, screw back into car , reinstall shelf then screw 6x9 speaker through shelf and MDF. Its the best possible way to do it as one the woofer is mounted securely and two it sits flush with the shelf. In my opinion using those big plastics spacers wreaks the look of an otherwise nice commodore.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Cheers mate for all that info. Might give it a shot soonish...Got a bit of time because I will have to find an amp. Not a good idea running 4 good speakers from the head unit. lol It wasn't overally that good running one pair.

Cheers.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
For a VN..

I was installing 6x9s in the rear parcel shelf and because the spacers were high on one side and lower on the other it made it difficult to have the speaker bottom sit inside the hole part on the metal framing on the shelf, if you run into that problem, you can mount the spacers more towards the front because it dips down as you go towards the seat, the gap (believe it or not) dips just enough :D