Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9s in a VT

Sebastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS Commodore
hi i have just bought a new head unit (kenwood) and ive been thinking about getting some 6x9s put in the rear parcel shelf. my question is how would i wire them up to the head unit as there are only wires for the 4 door speakers. does this mean i will have to connect them through an amp and then connect the amp to one of the output ports on the back of the head unit?
also i was wondering how this is done in the VT's which came with 6x9s
sorry if this stuff is obvious but i dont know alot about car stereos so thanks for any help that can be provided.

craig_stato

HCC member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5 litre statesman
i did it the easy way, i connected them to the amp the same time a got my amp and sub hooked up, other wise you just end up running extra wires through the car.you will prob wanna disconnect the factory rear door speakers, as they distort, even though the 6x9s can go louder

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
When i had my vt i ran my 6x9's off an amp and ran the 4 door speakers of the HU.
By changing the rear door speakers and the splits in the front the resulting sound was awesome!

Sebastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS Commodore
thanks for the advice, will i be able to run an amp off my head unit its a kenwood KDC-MP333 ,also the head unit has two additional ports labelled rear left and rear right output could anybody tell me what these are for thanks.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
im not that familiar with VT's, so bear with me. Is there actually 6 speakers in the car, 2 in the front, 2 in the rear doors and 2 in the rear parcel shelf?? If so, then yes, the best way to wire up all 5 would be to use a 2 or 4 channel amp to run 1/2 sets of speakers.

Your HU has 1 preout- thats the round RCA plugs at the back of the deck. An amp will run off these. Im assuming this is what you mean by the 'additional ports'. To be honest, i would amp your front speakers before you amp the 6x9s, because you want the sound in front of you, unless youre after bass more than the SQ.

After typing that, i realise that you may not already have 6x9s, your post is pretty confusing. If you dont want to buy an amp, just run the 6x9s off the wires going to the rear door speakers, by either running new wires or extending the old ones, and leave the door speakers unplugged

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
ah now i get it. just dont run the rear door speakers, and extend those wires to the 6x9s

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
juzsvy said:
I think he means he's getting 6x9's and wants to know how to run them all.
The vt's only came with 6 speakers in the calais upwards i think??

I believe the berlina had them, we had both VT SS's optioned with them also.

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
The option I took was to run new wires to the HU from the parcel shelf and disconnect the rear door speakers. Sounds fine for my needs and no need for an amp.

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE 50th ANNIVERSARY
new wires will make a big diffrence over the standard **** thats for sure.
i think its the berlina n upwards have the rear speakers
i was thinkin about getin splits in the front and rear doors n then 6x9s in the back
but everyone i talked to sayid that your not gonna notice much if anything at all. and your gona have to run wires into the back and then back into the rear doors n stuff. sure it would be stil cool but yeah.