Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9's into VX Parcel Shelf

C

Camotec

Hey guys, I know there are a few topics like this, however i don't think they are clear enough, so I am asking here.

I have also seen these speaker grills on ebay and wanted to get some for when I install the 6x9s. Do I have to Modify the metal hole in order to fit the 6x9s?

And on the VX where do the parcelshelf speaker wires run too?

Thanks in Advance
Cheers
Ben

N

NVMYVHSLE

have you already purchased the 6*9's???
are you puting subs in two?
if you havent purchased 6*9's yet and plann to purchase a sub..... don buy 6*9's but 6.5" 2 ways or splits for rears
many people dont believe you should put 6*9's in you rear but you get the best clirity and perfect midrange for ample drive.....plus if you are puting subs in the bass frequency may be adjusted/tunned to your rears...

if you have the 6*9's already i think its a matter of troubleshooting with the metal frame im not sure what brand speaker you have depending on the magnet you use.. if you still wish to buy the 6*9's i know viper make a range wich dont use a magnet.. they use a ceramic base (dont ask how) but you defenately wont have to cut the metal to fit them... sory if this doesent answer your questions...

(y)

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Theres nothing wrong with putting 6x9s in the parcel shelf, they are IMO ideal, some people say 6x9s are a waste of $$$ if you got subs but personally I think its a crock. The 6x9s do more than just bass, and from personal experience they make the whole system sound better.

They can be easily installed it a VT/VX parcel shelf, I'm a chick and I managed to do it lol. The hole in the metal frame under the parcel shelf is made to fit 8inch subs in calais models and upwards. There is room however to accommodate 6x9s. We have a pair of pioneer 6x9s in out VT Calais, now the only prob was that the hole was just a fraction too small for the 6x9s, to overcome this i simply filed away a smart part of the metal frame ( I am literally talking only a couple of mms). However if you dont wanna do that, you could just buy spacers.

The speakers grills are a great accessory to make it look neat and hide the speakers from prying eyes, just be careful not to cut the holes for the grills too big or u will stuff it. You mentioned you seen them on ebay, if considering buying them, do yourself a favour and get a price from holden first. They can be readily bought from holden often at a less expensive price.

Good luck :)

C

Camotec

Cool thats great thanks Julie. I only want 6x9's cause I used to have a doof doof setup in my first car. i don't need all that bulky crap to get a nice sound from my stereo.

One last thing, does the vt/vx have the wires up the back for the speakers already? I only ask cause i don't really want to take all the trim out etc.

Cheers
Ben

Julie

Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries :) I am not sure about the wiring, as we have a VT calais so it already had wiring for the factory subs, which was ripped out anyway and replaced with better quality stuff. Not sure what wiring execs have. I'm sure kalspl will know the answer to this one he seems to know this kinda stuff lol

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
That I do :) the execs dont have wiring at all as the wires are ONLY for the 8" subs which run from an amp that is mounted in the passnger side rear 1/4 panel behind the carpet.
If you look in there then there may be a plug but unlikely , the amp uses the input from the rear door speakers for its signal then amplifies it and runs the 8" subs.
Unfortunatley you will have to run the wires from the shelf all the way to the deck. This is the easiest way.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Weird...how do you access this compartment? I'll have to have a look sometime in our Acclaim.

J

james_VK_355

the 6x9 are a bass producing speaker u should not put 6x9s in if u want subs because they cancel each other out. 6.5" speakers are best with subs. if u want to spend money get some 6.5" 4 ways they sound mint.much better then 2 or 3 ways.

Julie

Reaction score
Members Ride
james_VK_355 said:
the 6x9 are a bass producing speaker u should not put 6x9s in if u want subs because they cancel each other out. 6.5" speakers are best with subs. if u want to spend money get some 6.5" 4 ways they sound mint.much better then 2 or 3 ways.

Well what I have always been told, and from listening experience I definately have to disagree with you. Because subs and 6x9s are totally different, subwoofers are called SUBwoofers because the produce the subsonic frequency, unlike the 6x9s, sure they put out a bit of bass, but not sub bass. Only time I ever hear that subs and 6x9s shouldnt be mixed is usually by kids trying to justify not being able to afford both by making up bullshit excuses (don't take that personally, Im just speaking in general terms).

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
MY reason for not using 6x9s is ;

Subs generally play between 20Hz and 80 Hz
Mid bass from front splits generally play between 80Hz and 500Hz
This represents a nice balance and creates the illusion that bass is actually coming from the front , the reason for this is because everything below about 60-70Hz is not directional , mid bass however is.

So when people add 6x9s and run them full range they will with decent power play down to 35-40Hz . . do you see the issue here ?
All of a sudden it drags the bass rear ward , now if you run them high passed @ 80Hz then you wont get this issue , having said that why would you waste money on 6x9s when the 6" will do the same job and being generally cheaper ?