Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

70mm Commodore Throttle Bodies!!!

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
v8 65mm does a good enough job!

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
and i think it actually means the airflow is 31%
better(less restrictive?) than the 60mm

Even if that's the case, every simulation I've ever seen shows that the stock VN V6 motor doesn't max out the max flowrate of the stock t/b at WOT.

Sure at lower throttle percentages the response will feel more lively but there's no increase in max power.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
really it just means you dont have to fully open the throttle to let the same amount of air in as a stock T/B...
how come the TPS doesnt give an incorrect reading to the ecu as it thinks its letting in less air than it really is????

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
really it just means you dont have to fully open the throttle to let the same amount of air in as a stock T/B...
how come the TPS doesnt give an incorrect reading to the ecu as it thinks its letting in less air than it really is????

Actually, doesn't matter too much really, the fuel maps specify an AFR versus MAP and RPM not a specific amount of fuel, the computer works out AFR's from the O2 sensor reading and supply's the appropriate amount of fuel.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The ecu only adjusts the fuel ratio from the O2 sensor when its at 14.7:1 on the fuel map anything other than that is a calculation based what the map sensor is reading, the rpm, the injector size the VE table and a few other things. Still the point is that the throttle body for a stock or bolt on V6 is plenty big enough allready. You only need a bigger one on a good 304 and even then it's not a big gain unless it's a pretty serious motor

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
The ecu only adjusts the fuel ratio from the O2 sensor when its at 14.7:1 on the fuel map anything other than that is a calculation based what the map sensor is reading, the rpm, the injector size the VE table and a few other things. Still the point is that the throttle body for a stock or bolt on V6 is plenty big enough allready. You only need a bigger one on a good 304 and even then it's not a big gain unless it's a pretty serious motor

Ah right, thats making a lot more sense now, I was wondering how a narrow band 02 sensor could possibly work like that. But my point is that a larger throttle body wont stuff things up, it wont make the engine perform worse. I agree that a larger throttle body wont make much (if any) improvement, but there's no harm in chucking one on if future mods are planned. Apparently you can even gain a couple of kilowatts at the top end on a stock 5L by using a 70mm throttle body, but it's only top end that changes. You can simulate all you like but the real world results don't always match nicely.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ah right, thats making a lot more sense now, I was wondering how a narrow band 02 sensor could possibly work like that. But my point is that a larger throttle body wont stuff things up, it wont make the engine perform worse. I agree that a larger throttle body wont make much (if any) improvement, but there's no harm in chucking one on if future mods are planned. Apparently you can even gain a couple of kilowatts at the top end on a stock 5L by using a 70mm throttle body, but it's only top end that changes. You can simulate all you like but the real world results don't always match nicely.

Yeah you can gain a few kw on a stock 5 liter but not on a stock v6. But it makes sense you could gain 5 rwkw on v6 with a big cam and ported heads if you were going that far with the engine, weslyrpg tested his bolt on V6 back to back with the stock throttle body and a big one and made exactly the same power on both runs

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Can it be done at home job? I have an lathe here and would it work?
Cheers
AP

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
be cheap and take the throttle body restricter out and money else where could be more useful