Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 Bolt flywheel/flex plate torque settings?

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hey!, im dropping a vp motor into my car, its a vn s1 last time i changed flex plates i did them up to i think 90nm (6 bolt crank)

i dont think the 8 bolts are the same as i snapped a bolt off in the crank before reaching 50nm, i got new bolts (strength 8)

anyone know the torque setting? i dont have a book handy and yes im using lock tite!

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
22Nm+75 degrees extra turn on bolts after the 22 its in the gregories in the 1991 suppliment at the back

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
sweet as you putting it in now cant wait to see how you go this time you might want to take a bit of timing out just too make sure you dont kill this one pinging is your enemy set the timing low and build up dont go for big power straight off

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
22Nm+75 degrees extra turn on bolts after the 22 its in the gregories in the 1991 suppliment at the back

With new genuine bolts - single use only as they are designed to stretch when tensioned correctly. And forget the loctite, it alters the torque required for the initial tension. Probably too late as I see from another thread the engine is in :( .

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
i used new strength 8 steel bolts, and the strongest locktite

spanners pinging didnt kill the engine, im already running %30-40 spark retard under boost and heaps rich, atm not the fastest but untill i get the afr's right it wont be quick quick

what killed the engine was this
01072007190.jpg

Excessive heat, i found flaking/cracked heads, broken tensioner, melted bearings.. old engines a complete write off, not even worth rebuilding

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i used new strength 8 steel bolts, and the strongest locktite

That misses the point that the GM torque spec goes out the window if you use different bolts and that the loctite (uncured) acts as a lubricant, altering the relationship between the torque required to turn the bolt in the threads and the force stretching the bolt/clamping the parts together.

It probably would have been better to have used a generic torque spec. for a grade 8 bolt rather than the GM spec. which will stretch the bolt past it's elastic limit (it's meant to do that). It's your engine and you may get away with it though.

Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts ... - Google Book Search

Nicko77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute sv6
Hi guys I know this thread is extremely old but can anyone please tell me torque settings for these bolts on a vz sv6 alloytec.
Thank you in advance.