Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

80mm Throttle Body BBK

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
BBK 80 MM THROTTLE BODY

Hsv uses the 80mm t/body in there gts - to get something to match this for your LS1 I have read about BBK 80mm Throttle Bodys with 80mm Throttle Plate, without manifold mods straight bolt on kw upgrade. $1000 for BBK 80mm, $2500 for HSV Item and over $500 to port your stock LS1 but not as convincing on the dyno.

BBK having a much larger blade the idle is set differently and not as smooth as the stock t/body which is a downfall. Expect a 5-6 kw increse for your LS!

This is not a bad addition to your ls1 if you want every kw you can with bolt on mods, thos this can effect the cruise control

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
If i was going a throt body upgrade i'd jump straight to a 90mm or like i had a 110mm. They really arent needed straight away. I blieve Starr also do a nice throt body :)

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I've seen a comparo in a mag not long ago about changing throttle bodies, and goin from the standard to a 90mm only got a few kw gain....not even 10 if I rememeber correctly....hardly seems worth it. With other mods I'm sure it'd help, like head and cam pack, but not on the standard engine.

VooDoo

Reaction score
Website
www.oz8.org
Members Ride
HSV GTO. 408ci Stroker, LS3 top end.
BBK gave NO increase in power over stock. Same as the SSI, Snake racing, HSV GTS or ported TB's. They are a waste of money on a stock LS1. If you have a decent cam and headwork or a stroker you may find a slight differance but rarely worth the $$. The only one ive seen make more power was a development one from Throttlebody's Australia (Dave OLS108 has one atm). Even changing to a FAST throttlebody and manifold will loose power on a stocker and only gain very high in the rev range unless you have a stroker or large cam/heads.

BTW, your pricing is WAY out. The BBK is $900, Stock ported $200 exchange, SSI $800, GTS $1000 (new) or from $500 on ebay. Who would spend $2500 for 5-6 "imaginary" kw?? You can get a cam for that.

BTW: Starr performance closed shop completely on July 1st.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
VooDoo said:
BBK gave NO increase in power over stock. Same as the SSI, Snake racing, HSV GTS or ported TB's. They are a waste of money on a stock LS1. If you have a decent cam and headwork or a stroker you may find a slight differance but rarely worth the $$. The only one ive seen make more power was a development one from Throttlebody's Australia (Dave OLS108 has one atm). Even changing to a FAST throttlebody and manifold will loose power on a stocker and only gain very high in the rev range unless you have a stroker or large cam/heads.

BTW, your pricing is WAY out. The BBK is $900, Stock ported $200 exchange, SSI $800, GTS $1000 (new) or from $500 on ebay. Who would spend $2500 for 5-6 "imaginary" kw?? You can get a cam for that.

BTW: Starr performance closed shop completely on July 1st.

What he said !!!

my TB has gained 1-2MPH and 0.16 at the track so i ain't complain, although it will require some further testing before i can say just how good it is, But after having it for a month id say its a Worthwhile investment on an unopened LS1.
Stay Tuned:thumbsup:

ringram

efilive evangalist
Reaction score
Website
www.efilive.eu
Members Ride
2007 HSV CLubsport R8 M6
Stock intake is like 76mm anyway, so no point getting anything larger than that.
What does happen though is that the throttle blade, shaft etc are partial restrictions so a slightly larger one allows the full diameter of the intake to flow the air through. You can port your own TB and get very good results. Only takes a couple of hours. http://www.geocities.com/wilwaxu/throttlebody.html

RebelSS

RebelSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV A6
Throttle bodies

Just some clarification here:

- A properly ported and polished throttle body on a stock motor will yield at least 5rwkW, which is not numerically great, but it dramatically changes the throttle response, thus change in your torque curve, resulting much more power down low, then due to its being free flowing extends all the way in the rev range.

- I run a BBK on mine and definitely and swear by the improvement in torque, and torque is what wins races not kW's.

- Recently got feed-back from 'Oztrack' who is running my BBK to help him crack the 11.4. He is wrapped in the results my BBK achieved for him.

Hope I have straightened few anomalies for you.

Cheers,

Mark