Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

88 Green Wagon Turns 20

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Today the wagon gets an early 21st prezzy.

It's gone in for a Gas conversion with 80lt tank with auto petrol start thingo. They dont change the memcal setting (told them that it has a great tune in it already and not to wipe it)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The wagon started dead spoting on the highway making the drive train bang loudly. Changed the coils a few weeks ago with no change. Today I put a new ECU in and the old wagon fired into life as if nothing was ever wrong. Open the bonnet to have a quick look over things and the air box was in 3 bits. The air filter was shredded.

So the 91 Calais became a donor car for a while supplying an air box. Now I know why people fit bungy cords to air boxes. Gas cars blow them up all to often.

v6vpute

Rolling on stockies
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vp s sedan series 2
The wagon started dead spoting on the highway making the drive train bang loudly. Changed the coils a few weeks ago with no change. Today I put a new ECU in and the old wagon fired into life as if nothing was ever wrong. Open the bonnet to have a quick look over things and the air box was in 3 bits. The air filter was shredded.

So the 91 Calais became a donor car for a while supplying an air box. Now I know why people fit bungy cords to air boxes. Gas cars blow them up all to often.

They sure do in the time i had my old ute for a year i went through 3

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
happy 22nd birthday (sorry it's a bit late) for the wagon

get some good leads when running LPG.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
happy 22nd birthday (sorry it's a bit late) for the wagon

get some good leads when running LPG.

Yes indeed - it got nice new leads and plugs when it got gassed.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also the new motor (VH1000010) is almost ready to take to work for a little freshen up. I need 3 lifter push rods and 2 rockers. It also looks like it has a VR timming cover on it (cam sensor) I dont know if this will be an issue or not. Else I'll take the timming cover of the current motor.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The wagon spat out a harmonic balancer and CAS on Thursday so it got a ride on the back of a truck to the work shop. $233 later it has a new front seal, balance, sensor and belt to make it run a little better.

The car is still using coolant tho and if it fails to settle down soon the motor will have to come out due to a most probable blown head gasket or some thing like it. There is no coolant stain on the driveway as a tell tail sign like normal. There is no coolant spray under the bonnet and all hose clamps are dry. But it must be going somewhere.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Also the new motor (VH1000010) is almost ready to take to work for a little freshen up. I need 3 lifter push rods and 2 rockers. It also looks like it has a VR timming cover on it (cam sensor) I dont know if this will be an issue or not. Else I'll take the timming cover of the current motor.

Maybe the cam sensor was suppose to be there, refer to pg 95 in Project VN; there's a picture of a prototype engine (No. VH1000023) been lowered into a VN. This same engine also has a cam sensor.:hmmm:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe the cam sensor was suppose to be there, refer to pg 95 in Project VN; there's a picture of a prototype engine (No. VH1000023) been lowered into a VN. This same engine also has a cam sensor.:hmmm:

hmm you are so right - eagle eye... May have to look into this a bit more.

The wagon is back running nice again after a visit to the gas man $66 and it was sorted. Looks like when the CAS carked it the gas side of things got upset.

The wagon escapes the scrap yard yet again :)

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Good to hear your keeping your rig on the road!! Mines still going strong after nearly 3 years of ownership never misses a beat despite being rusty lol just the normal small maintenance things (cracked water pump among other things), going in next week for diff rebuild and welch plugs (engine out) I have debated updating to a newer model but I think I'm gonna keep it for a while yet