Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9" or irs help

Dougthe37th

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi everyone

Been a while since I'v posted anything or even been back to the forum!

So I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding what direction to go with my rear suspension setup in my VX.
now I haven't even posted my new toy up in the my ride section yet which I should get around to doing! its a 383 ls1 with about 600hp.
Now I was going to stick a Harrop HTV2300 on it but decided that its just fine how it is now. I don't know if I should go with the 9" live axle conversion or keep the IRS setup with my Trutrac and just splash out and get the Harrop hat and some 1000hp axles. I'm suffering from major axle tramp and my engine builder keeps saying that the only way to get rid of that is with the live axle conversion.

I have all ready been through 2 sets of oem axles and kinda sick of buying new ones! Any one have any experiences and advice on what direction I should go?

cheers Doug

PS sorry if this makes no sense I'm extremely tired and on some strong pain meds for my back and feel bit out of it at the moment.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I would vote for the Strong IRS set-up.
How are you breaking axles at the moment? Do you race the car, track day, skids?

I'm sure I have seen a few late model LS commies with similar power and they did not require (or have) Live conversions. Maybe they broke axles when I wasn't around though.

Dougthe37th

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Its been breaking axles just driving around no skids drag racing or track days. it sits in my shed most of the time. I do drive it hard sometimes but nothing over the top because I know its got a stranded rear end and trans. I think i'll go the Strong IRS setup if I was putting the blower on it then it would be the live axle but I don't think I need to spend 15k on a rear end just for 600hp

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
IIRC, vrsen had axle tramp n used 2 different axle sizes which helped reduce/stop tramp.

May be something to look into

Dougthe37th

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Well I have decided to stay with the IRS setup guys now its just trying to find some good axles ????? any ideas

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Gforce. Rated for 1000HP plus

Dougthe37th

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Where do I fond a price on these axles have been searching for a while with no luck

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Dougthe37th

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
oh sweet thanks guys I did find that site thought I dreamt it wow that really spun me out these damm pain killers are spinning me out lol!!