Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9 wires in trailer harness

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L manual, VE Omega Sportswagon
Hi,

At the risk of asking a silly question, I'm installing a trailer harness in my Ve 2008 omega. It's second hand from the dismantlers.

The plug looks like a standard flat 7 pin, but has two extra wires (one grey and one white) going to it. They screw in outside the standard seven, so on the extreme left and the extreme right.

I may not need them but would like to know why they are there. Can anyone assist?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi,

At the risk of asking a silly question, I'm installing a trailer harness in my Ve 2008 omega. It's second hand from the dismantlers.

The plug looks like a standard flat 7 pin, but has two extra wires (one grey and one white) going to it. They screw in outside the standard seven, so on the extreme left and the extreme right.

I may not need them but would like to know why they are there. Can anyone assist?

To do with the reverse sensors.
I think there is what is called a reed switch in the flap of the 7 pin plug which deactivates the reverse sensors when a trailer is connected, otherwise, whenever you went into reverse with a trailer connected, the sensors would keep going off.
Scroll through the link, there may be more info
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...u/forum.php&ss=9562j3327606j34&sa.x=7&sa.y=11

Last edited:

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L manual, VE Omega Sportswagon
Thanks rambunctious, much appreciated. It explains a couple of things about the trailer wiring harness.

This trailer wiring hasn't got the better of me yet!