Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

94 VR V8 running like a POS and making popping sounds

colleen2967

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5.0 Litre
Hi everyone, can I please get some advice. My car is doing weird stuff. A few weeks ago it whilst driving it just started spluttering and then felt like it had no power when accelarating. I stopped and rang RACQ but by the time the guy got there and then looked at it all seemed fine???

Yesterday it did the same thing again but actually was making weird popping sounds like misfiring or something from underneath the car. Kept spluttering and actually struggled to get through the lighs - just slowly crawling through and feeling like it was going to konk out.

I have no clue where to start, please help.

Colleen :surprise:

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
g`day colleen seems like the vr needs a serious tune , dissy cap and rotor , spark plugs and leads , air filter, fuel filter replacement . and check ignition timing . you can also check the computer diagnostic fault codes which may pinpoint some problems . if you are not confident to replace parts yourself , ask friends and family to put you on to a trustworthy mechanic. good luck ......

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Have a look at your ignition coil.
If it is still the original coil mounted at the rear of the manifold beside the distributor, they get heat effected and fail. If you replace it, relocate it to a cooler location.

When it dies do you smell excessive unburnt fuel? Check the colour of the spark, it should be a bright whit/blue and be able to track across a 10mm gap. If the spark is a weak yellow colour then change the coil.