Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 VS Sedan - Low oil pressure?

beasuf

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS
Hey guys,

This is my first post so I hope I've put this in the right place. I've got a 95 VS sedan with around 210,000 km's on the clock that I've had for about 3 years now and have changed oil/filter every 5-6 months as I never rack up enough km's in that time to warrant it any sooner. For a little while now the motors had a bit of a 'tick-tick' noise. Put in some additive to free up the lifters which seemed to basically get rid of it but in recent months had started to creep back. I was driving my sister to work and the oil light came on and by the time I got to my destination (5 minutes down the road) it was idling really rough and the ticking was more like a thumping. Shut it off and let it sit for a while and checked the oil which seemed fine but topped it up a little just in case (didn't think this would do too much) and made my way home (another 5ish minutes) and it started getting loud again. I have a back up car and have let the car sit ever since. I've been doing some reading up on this forum before posting and have came to the conclusion that it is most likely low oil pressure due to either a blocked oil pick up or the oil pump has failed or on the way out. I've never had any gluggy crap or lumps in my oil when servicing but have also read that it's very rare for the oil pumps to go on these motors? I'm basically looking for some opinions and what I can do to try and diagnose what it most likely is because if it involves removing the sump or timing belt/oil pump I will most likely be paying a mechanic to do so as my tools are some what limited.

The cars had an exterior respray in 2k and is generally in really good condition for it's age, I plan on running it into the ground and upgrading down the track but I'm sure there is a lot more life in her. If the repairs are going to cost in excess of $500 I'm assuming I may be better off putting in a recond motor?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Cheers

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if its thumping that quick I say your big end bearing maybe an issue , if its your pump its pretty easy to fix , called be ya push rods too.

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Try putting a liter of ATF in the engine and running it at idle till warm a few times then drop that oil and change the filter. Use cheapish oil and another liter of ATF and repeat the process with a couple of quiet short drives thrown in. After dumping that oil and filter use your normal brand of oil and a new filter. This worked for me in the same situation where my oil light would come on during even gentle driving and only go off after turning off the engine for a short while. Sometimes it took 5-20 min to come on other times I could make it happen immediately by accelerating up local hill. No large lumps of sludge came out during the changes but the second change was certainly dirty.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
The idea of the ATF making it lower viscosity? What about oil flush that would be better wouldn't it?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If it's ticking, and making noises I'd be tempted to say that your engine is toast. Usually happens when the pickup becomes blocked and the top end ends up with a lack of oil. I replaced my engine and box from the wreckers for $370 with warranty including all bolt on's. So how expensive it is depends on your mechanical ability and how motivated you are to have a go at changing it all over. you'd be hard pressed to find a recond motor for $500 though

thelord4034

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve Omega sadan 2007
low oil pressure

[QUOTE=beasuf;

i had the same problem not long ago the oil light would come on the motor would tick loud as if no oil was getting to the engine, So i ask friends i knew that had knowledge in this area all said it was the oil pump. so i starting looking at replacing it, hell i didn't want to put the front of my motor off so i drive my car for another week with the problem and when ever the oil light stay on i would turn the car off and start it again and find the light would be off, but then someone told me to put kerosene in my oil so i check this point of view out and found some people called me a fool for even looking at it. but i ended up getting new oil and a oil filter and then i poured 1/2 bottle of kero down my dip stick hold not into the engine just into oil, wait 30 mins drained it out change oil and filter and have not have the problem for over 2 months now

let me know if it works for u