Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 VS V6 Splutters/loses power when going above 50 in D (warning: long)

trble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 96
Yo! Couldn't find anyone else with the same question so I'm posting it for myself.

So, for pretext, about a week ago I decided to head down to the local do-it-yourself carwash and power-degrease my car. Did an aight job, felt a bit like I drowned the engine more than I should have (did go easy) but she ran alright.
The next day, whenever I hit about 50km/h and tried to go any faster the engine heavily drops power, splutters etc.
I limped home, parked up and called my mate (knows a lot more about cars) to show him. Only when he arrived, it had basically stopped, just a few light shudders.

Since then I've only been driving it short trips between work, never really get to go above 60. It was running great though.
Until yesterday when I found a pool of coolant back up behind the thermostat, I think above the valley gasket? So I gave it a quick blast with the degreaser (hand can this time!) and then hosed it off/dried in the valley gasket as best I could with a towel. Afterwards I changed my spark plugs & air filter. It was missing a cylinder so I figured out to do a drop test and one of my leads was a bit loose/the gap in the plug was too much so I fixed that and took it for a drive.

Now onto my actual problem: tonight it has started with the spluttering again. I took it on a road where I can go 90, and I've figured if I use 1/2/3 gears it runs fine, RPM is a bit higher but it honestly has plenty of power. However if I'm in D or going fast enough that 3rd is lower revs, the engine will kind of stall at one speed, generally 50-60 and even if i plant it it just splutters like **** and won't kick.
I know it could be all sorts of things, but does anyone have any guesses? I'm leaning towards blocked fuel line/filter or transmission is fucked? I do have plenty of tranny oil but it does seem kinda clear, not enough experience to know whether it's meant to be like that. Maybe it's just me watering the engine haha.
Cheers guys.

trble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 96
UPDATE (I wrote this an hour ago but never pressed send)
I got home, had a shower and drove back to officeworks and it ran smooth as butter, as if nothing was ever wrong.
Really confused :(

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could be a dodgy or wet coil pack. Try checking error codes.
No need for. Pressure washer to do the engine.