Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'97 Caprice SHYGMH

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VS IRS is basically the same floorpan as the later ones so you will have the same fitment issues. Lucky that they have the offset as the inlet as this is the only way it will go in. It will be very tight at the front to give you the clearance you need at the rear. You will get 2 in there as the Statesman has factory twin mufflers anyway so both hangers are there.

If you are going twin 3", go twin all the way. Will sound better.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey Jecs,

yeap, space for muffler is identical on both sides and hangers are there standard on V8 mufflers. The tightest area is passing the gearbox (auto) and there is plenty of room after that to the mufflers. Not sure about crossing over the r/h side past the diff and fuel tank as mine joins before the muffler obviously.
Why the twin 3"? How many ponies you packing?
I am twin 2.5" to single 3". It runs no different at the drags with dump at diff or full system (just sounds better/louder), I haven't tried open at header extensions yet, but don't expect any difference.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The factory Statesman exhaust is twin mufflers with twin pipes under the axles going to single just behind the LH axle, so twin pipes will fit after the mufflers.

Sometimes size isn't always about HP, bigger is better for sound.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Might as well add a little info here. I'm running a modded vy full twin exhaust under my vs, twin cats, twin mufflers, and twin hotdogs. Hangers were there on both sides, and it fits up nice and snug. My only issue is the standard mufflers are 6.5" tall and sit lower than I would like. Standard length are 10" and the hookers are 12" they'll fit but the exit bends may be tight.

Definitely watching this thread

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
My exhaust is dropped at the end of header extensions at the moment. (for diff swap)
So just ask if you want anything measured under there while I have the space.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
deuce are you running the offset or the straight through hooker?

i also came to find out TUFFER/TENS ran the hooker mufflers. i dont care what any exhaust shop says now, i remember hearing this thing in person and it sound sexual.

on another note, he ran twin hooker aeros with magnaflow mufflers on the end. given this was an angrier machine than mine, i want to copy him with muffler choice and put some time of magnaflow on the rear

just not sure if i should go muffler or hotdog?

Last edited by a moderator:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Go muffler, since I've installed the hotdogs its loud. I've been looking for a dual in n dual out resinator that will fit in the stock spot to change mine over to. Yes mine is only a six and the 8's sound insane, I believe u'll enjoy it more

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Exhaust shops are in the business to make money, a lot of them will do what is profitable, not necessarily what the customer wants. They would rather fit what's in stock or what they can easily get.

The shops that I have worked in were very hesitant to get something out of the ordinary. Number 1, they can be expensive, number 2, they don't really want to be held accountable if it sounds like ****. Even though they may not have wanted to fit a certain muffler but do it anyway, you may be asked later who did your exhaust, you say ABC Mufflers, the person says "that sounds like ****, I'm not going there".

Ephect, I do a twin in and out glass packed resonator, 6" round, 14" long, in 2", 2 1/4" or 2 1/2". I think it's around $70. But then getting it to Melbourne....

Jecs, as I said in the PM, the bigger the can, the more mellow the result.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
after doing a bit more research i found these mufflers, which i was thinking of putting this on the end of the system

its a very deep solid note, but i dont know if it'll quiet it down too much.

Last edited by a moderator: