Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 HSV clubsport draining new battery Intermitant

andyos

Ozzie 98 Clubby
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT CLUBSPORT 5.0L
Hi, I own a 98 VT Clubsport 5 litre and have owned it for 4 years without too many problems. Several weeks ago my old car battery went flat twice within a few days when i went to start it in the morning, so i bought a new battery. To my surprise after 2 days this also went flat, so flat that the car wont even unlock or display the oddometer. The only common theme was an aftermarket stereo making a low hum (had it in 2 years no probs). So i disconnected stereo, amp etc completely and put on new battery terminals. Was ok for 3 days then dead set flat again. Checked all the obvious like interior lights etc. So i take it to an auto electricians. They test the alternator etc and cant find anything drawing current. I leave it with them for five days and they intermitantly test it and its all ok nothing drawing current. So now i am at a loss. Any Ideas???

VTCLUB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsports
Hi I'm having the same Problem did you fix it?

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Mine did this. Turned out the boot lining near the rear of the boot holds a platform for the on off switch for the boot light. Re fitted it and problem solved. Check your boot light doesn't stay on when boots shut

commodorefanatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic Edition
Another problem, could be the alternator. It might not be charging the battery whilist ou are driving and it is draining the new battery
To check if thats the case there are 2 ways you can check it

With the car started chuck a multimeter on the battery it should be reading something close to 14v anything less it might not be charging it properly

otherway if you dont have a multimeter is put your dash into diagnostics mode (holding mode and down? when starting the car) then forward through the mode to volts, and it will tell you what the reading is

It could be the alternate bushes have gone (you can replace them), it may even be the ground for the alternator, but hopefuly by checking the volts you will be able to see whether it is the alternator or something else, like a dodgy light switch or an amp that is staying on rather than turning off when not in use