Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 VT 5.0 LTR Overheating issue ?

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi All
My VT has recently started to overheat and after doing all the usual checks I found that the heater tap had eroded and water was leaking slowly from it. After removing it i found it was very worn and obviously needed replacing.
My question is would this heater tap alone be the cause of the overheating or might there be more to it ? When replacing the tap is the other things you should replace just to be safe ?
Also I've noticed that the air con has stopped working ? Could the broken heater tap cause any problems with the airconditioning or nothing at all to do with it ?

Thanks for any advice

Regards

Dave

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
A leak from anywhere will cause a loss of coolant and a rise in temp.
If the heater tap is that corroded I would assume the rest of the cooling system needs a good clean/flush and inspection.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
When you say the A/C isn't working, do you mean the compressor isn't engaging, or it is engaging but blowing hot or warm air? If it is the latter then a heater tap that is stuck on hot can cause this.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
while you've got the system empty you should replace a few things, like your thermostat, radiator cap just cheap simple things that cause problems.

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated :beer chug:

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Just an update on the overheating !
Replaced the heater tap, top hose and thermostat, flushed cooling system, replaced coolant and topped up radiator.... good as new.
Before I posted on this forum i took the car to my local holden dealer and another local mechanic both of which told me that there is deffinately more to it and costs to fix varied from around $500 - $800. Goes to show how good this forum is with varied opinions and trying stuff yourself can and will save you big bucks. This fix cost me a total of $90 and about 2 hours of my time - Thanks again guys :beer chug:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Good result is good news.
Just make sure you flush the system within 12 months this time and replace any more suspect hoses, then service as per the book.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Replacing the heater hoses when doing the heater tap is usually recommended, mainly because you have to disconnect them anyway. But you have fixed the problem which is good to hear. If you are going to replace most or all of the hoses get a pack. Mackay and other brands do hose packs which include top, bottom and all other hoses including heater. Usually the cheaper way out, and any hoses you take off which still look in reasonable condition keep them a side for spares. Can sometimes get you out of a tight spot if one decides to let go.

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Once again thanks for the info and help - it's good to know there's great people still around :beer chug:

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I was sitting in traffic for a while today and noticed my temp needle start to creep up over the half way mark which started to get me worried. Luckily every time it did, the traffic would move 50-100m and it was enough to get it back under to where it usually sits.

Now I'm wondering if I need to think about changing some **** up before it actually gets REALLY hot ? (It's quite cool here today, almost enough to wear a jumper).

I'm thinking it'd be nice to perhaps do a complete cooling system recondition.
Ie. New alloy radiator (maybe a 'performance' one if there's a difference?). New piping, new heater core, new thermostat, new radiator fluid.

Anyone have an idea how much it may cost for this or if it's worth it?
Or should I only worry about it if it starts to get over the 3/4 mark etc ...