Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 VT Acclaim Ignition Barrel

ryan_chu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hey guys,

I've done a few searches about the ignition problem and it seems that everyone is saying the ignition barrel.

First off, the thing that is wrong with my car is, ever since yesterday arvo I tried to turn my car on but it wouldn't start, it would make a small click and all the lights (engine/oil etc) would come on. Is this the same problem? I left it for awhile and tried again later and it worked (weird).

My car has had trouble starting up in the past (takes a few seconds to start/struggles to start) and I'm wondering if this is related? I don't really know much about cars so any help would be gracious.

Long story short, car won't start, when I try to turn it on it makes a click and lights come on, is it the ignition barrel?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
No it's not the barrel. It could be either a weak battery or a bad connection at the battery terminals. Try cleaning the terminals and make sure they are tight.

ryan_chu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
I'll give that a try tomorrow morning, I hope that's the problem if not I'm assuming it must be the ignition barrel then.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
need a lot more info, how old/condition is your vehicle battery, how is your key remote, is the mode LED flashing when you try to start. have you tried to start in neutral instead of park
get a friend to help you, turn on headlights and try to start. if headlights dim severely most likely battery (could also be starter motor)

ryan_chu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
@Iout

I'm not sure how old the battery is but it was in the car when I bought it 6months ago. The remote key works fine although in the past it has failed to work a few times. The lights on the dashboard don't flash, they just turn on when I turn my key. I just tried to start it in neutral and the lights are bright as the moon. I don't think the battery is the problem (my guess).

Thanks for you reply though, hope this helps a little.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
try changing / swapping the start relay

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
try giving the starter motor a tap with an extension bar or something then try start it, if you have a mate with you get them to tap it while you turn the key

kbelt66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s2
Heya Vt s
he wasnt asking for advice on FORDS.....
heheah