Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'99 Vectra Speedo, intermittent ABS/Traction Control Error Light / Gearbox problem

NissanSilvia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
So my '99 Vectra's Speedo is not working and there is an intermittent ABS/Traction Control Light.

After Googling I seen a lot of reference to the ABS Control Unit Module causing these problems. I took it out and followed this procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqtowdSDbxU

I put it back in and the speedo is still not working and after a few small drives, the ABS / Traction Control light has not come on. Could be luck or it could be fixed as the problem was intermittent before.

Anyway, not being a professional solderer it's quite possible I stuffed the job up, so the problem might be fixed by replacing the unit all together. But my question is, when driving the car this time, the automatic gearbox starts off in 2nd gear when in drive. It doesn't utilise 1st gear at all. If I manually put the gearstick into 1st gear, it will use 1st gear but if starting in D, it's starts off in 2nd everytime. It could have been a coincidence that this started to happen when I attempted this repair or it could be something I've done. Would the ABS Control Module have any bearing on the electronics of the gearbox (ie. starting off in 2nd).

I tried to look around for a dipstick to check the gearbox oil level but could not find one. I'm assuming the Vectra gearbox is a sealed unit?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
Do you have a button with a snowflake on it?.. most opels/vauxhalls have this snowflake button which is for driving on snow. Apparently lowers torque, starts off in second gear, changes shift point and convertor lock.
might have something to do with it

NissanSilvia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks for the reply. I do have this button. I will check this. God I hope it's as simple as that...

NissanSilvia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
It didn't fix it. But moving to 1st manually works, just not in D. I have a feeling it has something to do with the faulty Bosch ABS control module.

Once in my VE Commodore, if you hit the windscreen wiper switch, the headlights would come on :bomb:

Turned out to just be a faulty wiper motor. I think it must've been sending the wrong electrical signals back to the ECU and turning the headlights on so I've seen strange electronic things happen in Holden's especially with Bosch components.

NissanSilvia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I replaced the BOSCH ABS control module with a refurbished one and the ABS / Traction Control Lights still stay on. The middle display states CODE on it so I'm wondering if I would have to clear the ECU of fault codes before I have a chance of it working normally?

Do I have to purchase a hand held computer to clear the ECU of fault codes?

Jay-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vectra
I've got a 2000 Holden Vectra with that snowflake button on it (the Opel one) and was told not to touch it.

NissanSilvia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
So after installing the refurbished module and still getting the errors, I took it to a mechanic. The problem was a fuse (must have blown after I replaced the module). They replaced the ABS fuse and plugged the computer in, messed around with it and they got the speedo, gearbox, and abs warning light working. The only thing left that they couldn't get working was the TC light. After some troubleshooting, they said it was either the module or the ECU but were unsure which one.