Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

99 VT Just got wheel aligned, now car jumps to the side after a bump!!!!?

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
So im driving straight ahead, steering wheel pointing 12 oclock. hit a bump and car 'jumps' sideways a foot or so, now im still driving straight ahead, but steering wheel is pointing at 1.30... friggin bizarre!!! ALSO (and perhaps unrelated) driving up flagstaff hill she starts lugging - and the traction control light is flashing at me! so the computer thinks i have wheelspin and is stuttering a brake right? Just so happens both problems occur straight after new tyres allround and a wheel align (i.e store is closed at 12 and i drive away at 12.30, change the flat rear tyre a block away :hmmm:, no ****, and when i drive off again it jumps towards a merc!) Now the steering wheel will return to 12 oclock, but only after another bump, and another lurch sideways. Pulled a front wheel off at random, no movement on tie rod ends or steering rack that i can feel. HELP!!

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
i'd be taking the car straight back to where you had the new tyres and wheel alignment and make them sort it out cos it was fine b4 you went there

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, means an hour drive back tho, and it's a pretty freaky drive when you dont know if your car wil keep going where you're pointing it!! And i kind of need to drive it before tomorrow...

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Probably not possible but it sounds like your steering rack is loose in its mounts.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
maybe they didnt tighten the tie rods back up when alligning it?

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
go somewhere local, then send the bill to them

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Sounds like you have yourself a serious problem and something is VERY broken.

Get this checked out ASAP.

Just a thought, if you haven't checked already make sure your front ball joints are done up tight enough, I know on my VR 304 this caused some bloody weird issues.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
They might have left your camber adjustment bolts loose so your front wheel leans in or out. They could have damaged a sensor wire causing your traction control problem. Camber adjustment bolts are at the bottom of your struts.
I would give the people that worked on your car a phone call and explain to them that it is not safe to drive anymore and you would like them to send someone out to make it safe enough to drive back to them so they can fix up what they damaged.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
i agree ^ check the stretch bolts (big bolts in bottom of strut) for tightness, you may need to actually repace them. is there any 'clunks' when you stop/start /change directions at low speeds etc

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, an update - this was a cash job, so i have no recourse with the shop and no rec't.

The car is up on stands, and while the rh front wheel is lined up dead on with the rh rear, the inside of the lh front is pointing almost exactly at the centre of the lh rear, thats a massive 90mm, and the steering wheel is pointing to 2 oclock. Turn the steering wheel to 12 oclock, and the inside of the rh front is a whopping 130mm toward (actualy past) the centre of the rh rear!!!

No clunks - but when it 'changes' (stephen king's 'christine') it feels kinda like the little earthquake of a few weeks ago, the car just shifts to the side...

Camber looks normal on the stands, but toe in is ridiculous - i assume its in christine form, and if i drive it over a bump and the steering wheel returns to 12, then toe will be normal...