Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/C fan intermittent

dannos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VX Acclaim
I apologise if I have made a duplicate thread but I did search quite a lot for this specific issue and couldn't find it.

I have a 2002 VX V6 which has an A/C fan issue. When I turn the A/C on with full fan speed it works great.......for a time. At a random time (usually quite a short period of time if the weather is hotter) the fan simply stops working. I can then turn the fan off, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on but it will only work for a few seconds further. I thought it was only an issue with the highest fan speed setting so I decided to run in on the 3rd setting which appeared to work fine until it too did the same thing. I got on here and did some research and decided to replace the Fan Speed Resistor and thought I had fixed it until it did the same thing.

I read the following thread but it didn't seem to have quite the same issue so I don't know if it worth doing or not:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-blower-fan-fix-a-guide.262018/

I also read something here about it perhaps having a dodgy fan relay but like the previous thread, the problems aren't quite the same.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Normally the high speed fan works straight off the relay and doesn't use the fan speed resistor. Since you have the same problem on all speeds, the relay would be the next step on the diagnosis/fix path. Swap the relay for another of the same type that's not being used at the present time.

dannos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VX Acclaim
Normally the high speed fan works straight off the relay and doesn't use the fan speed resistor. Since you have the same problem on all speeds, the relay would be the next step on the diagnosis/fix path. Swap the relay for another of the same type that's not being used at the present time.
Thanks mate, I will have a go during the week and report back when I get an answer. Cheers!

dannos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VX Acclaim
I replaced the "blower relay" and the "blower inhibit relay" but after about 2 minutes of running on full, it cut out again. I really am at a loss as to what to try next so I would really like to hear any suggestions. Cheers!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
might be the switch itself?

dannos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VX Acclaim
might be the switch itself?
Thanks mate, I might see if I can track one down. Anything to avoid having to remove the entire fan unit lol ;-)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Thanks mate, I might see if I can track one down. Anything to avoid having to remove the entire fan unit lol ;-)
Actually, removing the fan is not as difficult as it might seem.

dannos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VX Acclaim
Unless you're a chubby bugger and you pass out when going upside down lol :p

dannos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VX Acclaim
I ended up pulling out the blower fan. After seeing the state of the the shaft the brushes have to make contact with, I am amazed it was able to work at all!!! Anyway, I have replaced the blower fan now and have ice cold A/C again! :-D Thanks for your help folks ;-)

Attachments

• Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 89