Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A\C noise- bad compressor?

ozsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 5 litre (97)
Hey all

Im no expert on aircon by any means but I put a new belt on my '95model vs commodore [v8] compressor about a month ago, and everything was going fine. Then a few days ago I started getting a squeal like a banshee, as if the belt were loose.

The screeching occurs under load [whilst accelerating] and then is quiet again. The ac still seems cool. When I turn the ac off, the same squealing stops. It does seem the noise gets loudest when the ac is on and I set it to its highest fan speed 3. But I can run the fan by itself on 3 with no probs :s

In the process of adjusting the belt I got some degreaser on the belt, could this effect my tests?

I have put the car up and looked at the compressor and everything is turning ok at idle, but being only one of me, I havent been able to look at it under acceleration.

Could this be indicative of a buggered compressor [god forbid :0 ] or could it just be the belt?

After seeing the price of a new compressor, Im praying it could be anything but that :( Are there any tests I can do that could indicate further?

thanks in advance Oz

ozsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 5 litre (97)
sorry guys I was in a hurry and didnt realise the aircon sticky was still active- sorry. Feel free to move this to the sticky..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd be concerned that degreaser may have got into your A/C clutch making it slip under load. The compressor should be OK from what you've posted. Degreaser will soften the surface of the belt also making it prone to slip though usually its the alternator or PS pump that slips/squeals. First I'd try to wash/remove all traces of degreaser and if this failed I'd put a new belt in after cleaning all pulleys. Good Luck.