Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a couple of questions

merlinnn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
Hi Everyone,

A couple of questions,

Will a VT series 2 rear K frame bolt into the series 1 shell? I know the camber adjuster is different on the series 2 and none existent on series1. I want to buy a complete K frame with diff, replace all bushes, diff gears etc and bolt back up on the hoist. I figure this will be quicker then rooting around all day on a hoist bush by bush etc.

Second question, I want to buy a second motor to build then drop in and I will sell my old one afterwards. Will any of the 304efi long motors be the same as the VT series 1 or are there differences in the manifold, heads, etc. I'm assuming the short motor is at least the same?

Thanks again

Raffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais Supercharged V6
The adjustable rear ends only started with the VX Series 2, and then its only for rear toe, not camber.

D

devilly

may getting wording wrong here,was talking to some mates about this,they said with the system currently on the vt no rear wheel alignment needed only front .if change it to the rear adjustable system then will have to pay for alignment front and rear.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
.......I want to buy a second motor to build then drop in and I will sell my old one afterwards. Will any of the 304efi long motors be the same as the VT series 1 or are there differences in the manifold, heads, etc. I'm assuming the short motor is at least the same?
I believe, the pre VT Series I 5 Litre, had a MAP sensor and the IAT was situated in the intake manifold, near No 6 injector.
VT Series I had the MAF and the IAT on the air intake box.

But if you are going to use your original PCM, I couldn't see a problem.
Just use the MAF instead of the MAP, if you are going to use a pre VT 5 Litre engine.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Second question, I want to buy a second motor to build then drop in and I will sell my old one afterwards. Will any of the 304efi long motors be the same as the VT series 1 or are there differences in the manifold, heads, etc. I'm assuming the short motor is at least the same?

It will physically fit (possibly not the manifolds), however all of the VT 5L were roller cam engines, where as all of the pre-VT were not, just keep that in mind. As above, as long as you use your existing ECU you should be fine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All the VT to VZ rear subframes will bolt in. The later model VX s2 onwards did have the extra toe arms, they also had minor changes to the swing arm mounts which alters the geometry which results in less camber change as the arm moves through it's range of motion. Definitely better than what the VT's had.

Yes, it would be best to get a 4 wheel, wheel alignment done, but the extra cost will be more than offset by the reduced rear tyre wear (unless you suffer from extreme accelerated tyre wear caused by excessive wheel speeds :driving: ) :D

merlinnn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will try to source the vx series 2 back end and restore it on the ground. In relation to the motor there appears to be a few VT long motors around for the $700 to $900 mark.

On another note, has anyone had experience in installing oversize throttle body's and MAF sensors? I was thinking of going down this route and modifying the stock manifold. I would appear you can almost buy a stroker kit for the price of an after-market manifold.

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bigger TB's yes, larger MAF, not really necessary unless you get into some decent engine mods.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Your best bet with the rear end, would to be to get a VY or VZ one....The camber won't be as excessive as the previous models as they improved the design.....The toe adjustment on the rear of commodores, came into effect with the VX series 2 commodores onwards.