Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a few questions about my vs 3.8

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive v6
Hi Folks,
I just bought a vs 1995 v6.
basically a one lady owner car, auto, air,power steering,executive.
I dont know much about commodores after about the VH model so please forgive the newbie questions.

it has a few problems, I did some searching here and found some answers.

it has the odometer that doesnt work, found the post on how to fix it.
the drivers window rattles around when its wound down,(not power, manual)
fan only works on 3 and 4,not on 1 or 2.
did have sagging roof lining but the previous owner had it fixed.
and the fuel gauge doesnt work properly, the dash needs to be hit on top a couple times to work.
the clear on the bonnet is also bubbling up badly and faded.(its a weird dark metallic green/dark blue,like its green with a dark blue pearl,i dont know,its the original color).

my questions are basically, with the fuel gauge, is that an easy fix or does it require changing ?
same with the fan switch, can it be fixed (bad solder joints etc) or does it need replacing ?
and with the window, i havent pulled the door trim off to have a look yet but do you think the channel just needs adjusting or is it the regulator thats worn out ? or maybe needs new bailey channel rubbers ?

it seems that these are common problems with this model and thought it would be best to ask the experts :)

also, is the executive the poverty pack model ? (base model)
i know there are the ss, berlina, acclaim, calais, statemans etc but i dont know where the executive is in the model lineup.
it seems to me its at the bottom but i just wanted to make sure because mine has the air,power steer,power mirrors etc.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Executive is base model.

-Executive - base model
-Berlina - a few extras
-Calais - luxury
-SS - V8

I'm not sure were acclaim comes in.

I'm pretty sure any VR/VS comes standard with power mirrors/power steering. Although Holden did throw a few extras into some models as my mums VR and my VS both came with factory LSD and ABS.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
acclaim would be between exec and berlina. as for your fuel gauge and odometer, have you considered a level three dash upgrade? i have recently done it to my vr acclaim and its the best thing i could ever have done. have a search for the tripin thread and take a look. you basically just need to wire in the 4th plug. aproximately 10 - 15 wire soilder.

as for your fan speed. i believe it would be the fan speed resistor. if its working on 3 and 4 then it defenatly is. now correct me people if i am wrong but i believe in the vs the speed resistor is located at the base of the windscreen, between the wiper arms. its a simple swap

all you need to do is take off the wiper arms, 13mm nut, and the plastic nut below them. once thats done take the plastic cover off. be careful with the little metal clips as when i changed mine over i managed to crack my windscreen with the flat head screw driver. once the cover is off you will see a plastic cap with two screws in it. take this off and remove the old sensor. re-assembly is the opposite.

with the window, i think the rubber may have just slid down the track into the door frame. which side is it on?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
the drivers window rattles around when its wound down,(not power, manual)

could be 1 of 2 things, with the window wound down shine a torch into the door and look at the front of the window, is the rubber runner still there or is the window just floating about in the aluminium U section? if it isn't then you need to replace it (the whole lot, aluminium and rubber... refer to a gregorys manual if this is needed). If it is still there then it may just need adjusting, requires removing the door trim and down the bottom towards the front there is a 10mm bolt, may take a bit of stuffing about and experimenting loosening it and moving the aluminium runner that houses the black rubber strip in and out then re tightening the bolt to get it right (enjoy)

If it winds up and down i doubt it'll be the runners on the mechanism otherwise it'd probably fall off them if they were the cause.

as aussie said it'll be the fan resistor, tell tale sign is it's working on more than just 4, grab a vt/vx one (the newer ones are solid state and aren't just a few coils of nichrome wire) can be a bit tricky to get the vt/vx one to fit but it is a better upgrade.

and the fuel gauge doesnt work properly, the dash needs to be hit on top a couple times to work.
possible faulty regulator board in the cluster, there's a few posts regarding fixing this if you are handy with a screw driver and a soldering iron.

my questions are basically, with the fuel gauge, is that an easy fix or does it require changing ?
same with the fan switch, can it be fixed (bad solder joints etc) or does it need replacing ?
and with the window, i havent pulled the door trim off to have a look yet but do you think the channel just needs adjusting or is it the regulator that's worn out ? or maybe needs new bailey channel rubbers ?

it seems that these are common problems with this model and thought it would be best to ask the experts :)

also, is the executive the poverty pack model ? (base model)
i know there are the ss, berlina, acclaim, calais, statemans etc but i dont know where the executive is in the model lineup.
it seems to me its at the bottom but i just wanted to make sure because mine has the air,power steer,power mirrors etc.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon

Hey man yep to others with the good advice for you, BTW if you need a complete Level 2 VS cluster in excellent condition send me a PM..

I Replaced the blower fan resistor that stopped working last weekend, pick up a new one for 25 - not 80 from GM ..yes I know the GM one has a circuit & a heatsink but this one definably does the job very well, much better construction than the original.
Whilst everything was apart I insulated the air con pipes under the "Over Wiper Motor Cowl" to stop the resonating gnomes with piccolos that would play non intermittent whistles through the dash when A/C was on - all fixed.
No more weird whistling/howling noises & blower fan speeds 1+2 are now in full effect!

Always disconnect negative battery terminal!
attachment.php

Removing those little clips that affix the Cowl with a trim remover tool
attachment.php

Old Blower resistor
attachment.php

Old blower resistor - see the broken coil
attachment.php

Old Resistor with dust cover off
attachment.php

Old Resistor with dust cover off & Plastic cap removed
attachment.php

New Blower Resistor
attachment.php

Cleaned out under the Cowl, there was a descent amount of compost under there!
attachment.php

Uninsulated A/C pipes under Cowl
attachment.php

Started to insulate A/C pipes under Cowl, applied more formshield but this was the start
attachment.php

Full insulation of A/C pipes to stop resonation whistle sound
attachment.php

Job 100% done, wipers replaced
attachment.php

I fully restored the Cowl & weather strip before re fitting
attachment.php

Uninsulated & Insulated A/C pipes under Cowl also shows dust cover for blower resistor
attachment.php

attachment.php

New blower resistor fitted
attachment.php

Job done, just had to fit wipers
attachment.php

If it's worth doing it's worth doing right :boxing:

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the responses fellas.

NFNSUS, cool, I thought it was the base model but i just wanted to make sure.
is there a place on the site or on the net that lists the codes that are on the compliance plate so that i can see what options the car has ?

aussie4life11, I dont really want to modify the car as its just my transport,I just want too fix it and keep it standard, I have an rx7, thats my fun car, this vs is just my get around car that i can park anywhere and not
worry about it. I appreciate the instructions on changing the resistor, I will get stuck into it soon.
also, its the drivers door.

Jxw, ok I will look at it tomorrow with a torch and have a look in there, I hope it just needs adjusting.
one of the rubbers is gone on the top of the door, the one with the felt on it, the one on the inside of the glass, would it be that ?
I just noticed it today.
regarding the resistor, I will have a look if i can find a standard one but if not i will try the vt/vx one, I dont want too stuff around too much with the car, I just want to keep it going with minimum fuss.

I will search for the posts for the fuel gauge, I am pretty good with a soldering iron, if it can be repaired i will give it a try.

There is another problem with the car I just noticed, today when I went to start it, the ignition comes on fine but sometimes it wont crank, I thought maybe it was the shifter so I would try putting it in neutral but still no good.
I then turn it off, take the key out and try again and it works.
would it be the switch at the back of the barrel or is it those metal contacts that the ball on the key makes contact with ?
I would really like to find the problem and fix it as my mum needs to drive the car occasionally and it did it to her today too.
any ideas ?

I cant really complain about the car as I got it for $500 with rego till january, it has a few oil leaks and these small problems but other than that its in pretty good condition.
I got it from my mates mum, she had it since new and looked after it.
she bought a new impreza and the car yard offered her $500 trade in, I said that I would give her that and she said ok.

Thanks again for the replies guys,
if anyone has any ideas about the ignition problem, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pack,
Wow Thanks Mate, great pics and instructions I really appreciate it !
where did you get that resistor ?
$25 sounds much better than $80 !
Thanks again for the great post,
Much Appreciated.

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jxw,
I looked in the door and I see the runner and the rubber strip is still on there, I cant remember which lip of the U shape its on but its there and not worn, is there supposed to be one on each lip ?
because I only have one.
I think its on the side closest to the door trim.
also, looks like the felt lined rubber strip off the top of the door skin on the door trim side/inside of the window is in the bottom of the door, when I pull the door trim off I will fish it out and glue it back on the metal strip where it belongs.
Thanks.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
acclaim would be between exec and berlina.

Nope completly differnent. Acclaim was safety Berlina was luxury. Both cost about the same when new.

The V6 range was as follows.

Exec- All the basics
-Has optional features like ABS, SRS, lSD, cruise.

Equipe- Exec with power windows, different colours available + cruise
-Has optional features like ABS, SRS, LSD cruise.

Berlina- Exec with added luxury features like climate control, l3 dash trip computer, body coloured mirrors, electric windows, electric boot release, external chrome.
-Has optional features like ABS, SRS, LSD, alloy wheels, cruise.

Acclaim- Added safety features, duel SRS airbags, Cruise control, ABS, IRS, body coloured mirrors, Acclaim trim + dubcaps. Different body shell to Exec and Berlina. Shares the same body shell as Calais for IRS and shares the same wiring harness.
-Has optional features like power windows and sunroof.

S-pack- Sometimes based on Acclaim and sometimes based on Exec. Has alloys + sport options such as FE2, s-pack body kit.

Calais- Acclaim with the Berlina goodies added to it.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
VP S Pack,
Wow Thanks Mate, great pics and instructions I really appreciate it !
where did you get that resistor ?
$25 sounds much better than $80 !
Thanks again for the great post,
Much Appreciated.

No probs mate I hope you have some luck with the ignition issues, there is heaps of info via the search function (bit late to diagnose for me as working tomorrow) will help out if you get stuck. Try this link for resistors BRAND NEW VR VS commodore blower fan resistor | eBay not 25 but 55 is still better than 80 & an 8week back order from GM:spot on: