Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a few questions about my vs 3.8

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive v6
No probs mate I hope you have some luck with the ignition issues, there is heaps of info via the search function (bit late to diagnose for me as working tomorrow) will help out if you get stuck. Try this link for resistors BRAND NEW VR VS commodore blower fan resistor | eBay not 25 but 55 is still better than 80 & an 8week back order from GM:spot on:

Thanks for the link mate, Much Appreciated.
Thats alot better price than the one I got today from peps parts, I got quoted $130 for an aftermarket one and thats at my trade price.
I also got quoted from a wreckers $55 for that small switch that goes in the door jamb for the interior lights !

you think an 8 week back order from GM is bad, when I try to buy parts for my 86 rx7 from mazda, 3-6 months is usually the wait and that doesnt guarantee that they can get the part.

tomorrow I attack my dash cluster, I just got the odometer gear kit and while its apart I will fix the solder joints on the voltage regulator, http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/132564-fuel-gauge-issue.html ,so that my fuel gauge works properly.

Thanks Again.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
acclaim would be between exec and berlina.

Nope completly differnent. Acclaim was safety Berlina was luxury. Both cost about the same when new.

The V6 range was as follows.

Exec- All the basics
-Has optional features like ABS, SRS, lSD, cruise.

Equipe- Exec with power windows, different colours available + cruise
-Has optional features like ABS, SRS, LSD cruise.

Berlina- Exec with added luxury features like climate control, l3 dash trip computer, body coloured mirrors, electric windows, electric boot release, external chrome.
-Has optional features like ABS, SRS, LSD, alloy wheels, cruise.

Acclaim- Added safety features, duel SRS airbags, Cruise control, ABS, IRS, body coloured mirrors, Acclaim trim + dubcaps. Different body shell to Exec and Berlina. Shares the same body shell as Calais for IRS and shares the same wiring harness.
-Has optional features like power windows and sunroof.

S-pack- Sometimes based on Acclaim and sometimes based on Exec. Has alloys + sport options such as FE2, s-pack body kit.

Calais- Acclaim with the Berlina goodies added to it.

Now which acclaim are you talking about? If the vs all well and good. But my vr doesnt have duel airbags.

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
just an update folks,
I replaced the odometer gears, both the small one and the one on the back of the larger grey gear that the small one sits on.
they were so soft, and the larger one just broke to pieces getting it off.
surely they were not made that way, maybe the lubricant they put on degrades them, I dont know but if they were made of such a soft material its a pretty poor design.

one problem though, the odometer worked for about 400 meters then stopped working.
I checked when I put the new gears in by turning the new orange gear with a small screwdriver and the odometer ticked over but once I took it for a drive it just died at 400 meters.
I checked the post relating to fixing it and maybe it didnt seat right.

I didnt take off the needle and speedo face, I just removed the motor and replaced the gears, next time I will remove the needle and face and do it the right way so I can see whats going on properly.
I dont recommend just removing the motor as its a pain in the ass and in the end it fails anyway so take off the unit and do it properly.
also, I checked the solder joints on the voltage regulator and they were fine, I took my multimeter and checked continuity on all the posts to the other side of the pcb and to the solder joints and they were perfect.

I did however find that under the 10mm nuts that hold the fuel gauge on the cluster, the copper contacts and the washers were slightly corroded
(after looking at how the switch operates) so i took some 1000 wet and dry and cleaned them up, sprayed some contact cleaner on them and it works without having to hit the dash.

Thanks.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
Now which acclaim are you talking about? If the vs all well and good. But my vr doesnt have duel airbags.

The OP has a VS so the above is written for a for a VS Sedan. My VR Acclaim does not have duel airbags either, no VR did. All VR Acclaims came with one drivers airbag standard. Duel airbags were first introduced in the VS series. Looking over it though you could apply the same range to the VR series appart from the duel SRS.

If looking at wagons:
-IRS was only available in sedans not wagons for all pre VT Commodores.
-Did not come with a S-pack or Calais option.

lpcustom

Reaction score
Members Ride
you wouldnt beleive it but the odometer started working again, figure that out.
new problem though, got 2 new keys cut yesterday, tried one driving home from the key cutting place, worked fine, got home,switched off the ignition, locked the steering wheel, like usual and after that went out to try the second new key and the ignition barrel was locked, couldnt turn it, couldnt release the steering lock, nothing.
tried the original keys, same thing.

rang a locksmith today (he wanted $400 to come out and change the barrel or $250-$300 on a weekday), told me that it was a very common problem and that the standard barrels were poorly made and didnt last longer than about 5 years.
well after busting my balls removing the whole ignition assembly (removing that retaining bolt took me about 2 hours of drilling from the top at an angle and then dropping the steering column to get better access to put a rod in and undo it) I rang back the locksmith and he told me $80 to replace the barrel with a new one and make it fit my key.

I searched here on the forums and found a post that explained how to remove the barrel but apparently you have to put a key in and turn it to accessories or on and then push a pin and the whole thing comes out but thats not going to work for me as I cant turn the ignition at all.

lots of fun.