Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A question for the plasterers - fixing cracks

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
lol **** yea especially when they use trim tex magic corner. looks like balls. Expansion joint would be my last resort if it cracked again after back blocking it and re setting it. too lazy to drop a ceiling ha ha

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Vkberlina is on the money. Apart from fixing the crack where it is visible in the room with tape and filler, you also need to do something on the top side of the ceiling sheet in the roof space otherwise it is likely to continue moving and cracking on you. vkberlina's method sounds pretty good and another way it can be done is by simply using offcuts of plasterboard about 250mm wide and cut to length to fit inbetween the ceiling joists and then simply glued down evenly over the top of the join with plasterboard adhesive. This basically just works as a big plate holding the two firmly together to prevent movement between the two sheets. Good luck with it.

Yeah I like that idea better, using it as a plate to reinforce the crack.

Backblocking its called. That would be the go or another option is an expansion joint.

Expansion joints are visible aren't they? Could be an issue as this will be the home theatre room and I aim to have it looking nice and seamless.

mate tiling isn't hard either. if the area isn't a weird shape have a crack at it. you'll save a fortune. No doubt you've already had a look but google renovate forum (i don't remember the url) and you'll find the confidence. I've saved heaps doing this place myself. Done everything besides electrical and most plumbing - some things i'd do differently next time, others came up trumps the first time (amazingly).

I have helped my dad tile 2 apartments, and your right, it isn't hard, just time consuming. There are no weird shapes, although some of the walls have a bow in them so that might be difficult or fiddly. Like they say, if you want it done properly you have to do it yourself. I spent the weekend regrouting sections of the bathroom in my house (its a 3 year old bathroom and was put in before I bought the house). They did a great job and must have cost a shitload but the grouting in the shower is rubbish, as I found the grout had just bridged the gap between the tiles.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Yea expansion joints are visible but that would be my last option if it still cracked if i didnt want to drop down a new ceiling