Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A quick spray at the NSW RTA

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Also yes i realise this thread is from 2006, but it was the most relevant after doing a search.

That's the problem around here... You get flamed for not searching and when you do search you get flamed for thread digging.

Bill44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08 MY09
Just to set the record straight, the RTA handed the number plate side of things to private enterprise some years back. It's private enterprise ripping us off, the RTA is just collecting the fee for them.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Just to set the record straight, the RTA handed the number plate side of things to private enterprise some years back. It's private enterprise ripping us off, the RTA is just collecting the fee for them.

But it's the government letting them! As soon as something is privatised, it's about profit and not about service level. Public Transport in Victoria is a PRIME example. I'm all for Governments selling off non-essential services, but essential services, such as utilities, public transport and infrastructure should remain in public hands! The problem there is the administration, when it's done by government, isn't as efficient. But at least the service levels are the priority rather than the profits.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Think yourself lucky. RTA Qld charge 2 grand for a custom pressing, plus a yealry renewal

VRCALAISS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR CALAIS 3.8L V6
Think yourself lucky. RTA Qld charge 2 grand for a custom pressing, plus a yealry renewal

no they don't qld transport charges a one off fee of $435 for 3 letters an two or three numbers an $2300 odd for prestiege plates with all leters or mixed

sent from tapatalk using your mothers phone.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
as was said a bit further up... gotta love WA :) can have up to 9 letters and LOTS of different colours available, and the most you will ever pay is like $550 for a 9 letter polycarbonate plate (cheaper for the 7 letter tin ones) and you can sell them for whatever you want

thats why i kept mine regod in WA whilst being posted to NSW, im so glad to be moving back to WA soon, oh and me and my old man both have a WH caprice, his is regod in NSW, mine in WA my 12 month rego is $513 and his is close to $1000, another reason why the whole east coast can EADC!

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
Yea I saw that a year or so ago, changed the pricing system.

Used to be for coloured plates you paid a once off, but custom lettering was a yearly cost. That I was willing to pay. But this is just money grabbing revenue, I even rang the customer service number and asked where that money was going.

"Into the roads and safety of the roads you drive on sir." The roads I drive on? Don't think so, Parramatta Road still feels like a dirt track with craters in it, as well as the other roads I take. All the lights are out of synchronisation everywhere I go. None of this is safe.

It's going elsewhere for sure.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
5 year old thread people

who gives a ****? its still a relevant topic we are talking about, funnily enough to find this thread, means somebody used the search button :) cant flame them for both thread digging and again if they start a new thread without using the search button