Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
no the numbers where you put your foot down and it goes harder.
I’d like to see back to back dyno runs showing torque/power curves for 91 & 98RON?

As is, Holden only specified 304KW on 98RON. Even if it’s down 10KW or so, I doubt you’d really notice much in daily traffic :p At WOT, on a drag stop, I’m sure the clock would show a difference favouring the higher octane juice :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’d like to see back to back dyno runs showing torque/power curves for 91 & 98RON?
I think the difference is you can get a bit more advance in the tune, you can also increase the comp when running 98 as apposed to 91. As a stand alone I don't know that you could feel it in the pedal .

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual

As is, Holden only specified 304KW on 98RON. Even if it’s down 10KW or so, I doubt you’d really notice much in daily traffic :p At WOT, on a drag stop, I’m sure the clock would show a difference favouring the higher octane juice :cool:
A Dyno pull is at wide open throttle, I’m sure you’d notice the difference in part throttle response due to the ecu putting in less timing etc but agree it would be interesting to see back to back dyno pulls

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
according to my injector size and flow rate on ethanol i was using bout 1 litre every 12 sec or so at full throttle, full tank in little over 14 mins no wonder people use alot durin track days
would be interesting to put a camera within the plenum and see the injectors washing everything...

Guess it’d be much more aggressive then the following:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That’s a good advertisement for catch cans and why you should run one
Yeah ... the intake tract of my turbo Volvo project-car is a good advertisement for catch cans ... you could run a Queensland ranga’s chippie on what’s in it, and it’s got a catch-can!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the difference is you can get a bit more advance in the tune, you can also increase the comp when running 98 as apposed to 91. As a stand alone I don't know that you could feel it in the pedal .
Yeah, if you‘ve optimised your tune for 98RON with OTR intake, cam upgrade along with extracts and full exhaust upgrades, then 98RON will bring out the best of your mods. If you’ve fiddled with compression or added a supercharger, you may not be able to avoid detonation if trying to run 91RON...

But in a bog standard LS3 powered car, there won’t be much in it in traffic conditions... which is where I drive it and why I use 91RON... it has more herbs than I need and I like keeping my license
“s o i m u s t s h o w r e s t r a I n t“ :p

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yeah, if you‘ve optimised your tune for 98RON with OTR intake, cam upgrade along with extracts and full exhaust upgrades, then 98RON will bring out the best of your mods. If you’ve fiddled with compression or added a supercharger, you may not be able to avoid detonation if trying to run 91RON...

But in a bog standard LS3 powered car, there won’t be much in it in traffic conditions... which is where I drive it and why I use 91RON... it has more herbs than I need and I like keeping my license
“s o i m u s t s h o w r e s t r a I n t“ :p
Personally I couldn’t bring myself to put 91 octane fuel in such a car but each to their own of course, it’s your car

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Personally I couldn’t bring myself to put 91 octane fuel in such a car but each to their own of course, it’s your car
Agree, even my old jalopy gets the 98, now I have found a place that sells it for 1.29. 95 is same price with the WW 6cpl off docket. I was using 95 but since the new petrol station doesn't sell 95, 98 it is and I don't need a docket or loyalty card.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Moderns cars adjust the timing advance depending on the fuel quality using the knock sensors.

Interestingly, the VS ecotec V6 had the ability in the tune but Holden never utilized it and tuned it on 91 :(