Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aaahhh.... 19" wheels too big for Vx commodore wagon?

Rubixs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais
Ok, so being new to this forum I thought I'd post something and you and hopefully someone could lend a hand on some tips. I've bought a Vx '01 commodore wagon, neat and nothing done to it in anyway. I picked up some great second hand rims with tyres to make it look better but I'm having a few issues with them scraping on the front left and right suspension guard/arms. They are 19" BMW M3 Csl Wheels with Bridgestone Potenza's 5x120, 245 45... The backs fit perfectly and no dramas... The fronts didn't fit and rubbed on the arm, so I bought and put some adapter spacers on them from ttf, this allows them to fit and it drives well... However, now and again it scrapes going over medium - big bumps on the road and so on... The car has standard suspension,buy yeah not sure what to do now... Thanks in advance. :)

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I am pretty sure, from my searching on the site that the 235/45/19 could fit, this depends on the offset.

I looked into this as I could get a set of SS-V wheels from a VE that had 245's on them but didn't bother as the would not have fit on the fronts.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
or the profile of the tyre is too large.
My 18's have 235/40's on them and no scrubbing

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
245/45 is likely too tall a tyre for the front, it's also too tall for correct speedo readings.
On a 19" rim you should have 245/35.
You'll probably find it's also an illegal upsize, here in Qld you can only go 15mm taller than what's on the placard, and 21% wider.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
19s just cause problems with the front end stay at 18 s

edit to the responses all . interesting ..

do you owners have sedans and not the wagon

questions
what size spare are you carrying,do you tow much, speed bumps . and parking uneven driveways .anyone like lowering /zorsts .body kits

guard rolling, and low profiles tyres, rim offsets . spacers . to have 19s and 20s

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
The BMW rims tend to have a lesser positive offset around 20mm+ which causes the wheel to sit further out near the guard/quarter panel or further away from the strut, but you'll need to check that offset as it may be a higher positive offset after all, and more importantly make sure you know where it's rubbing now, as you may still have rub marks from the pre-spacer fitment/test.
Clean ALL the old marks up and check again where it rubs, could be the inside or outside.
But inevitably the overall diameter of the tyres are too large and the likely reason for your difficulty in making them clear all parts.
They might even rub on the plastic guards infront of the tyre when turning at full lock.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Apart from profile, if you can get your hands on guard roller, try rolling your front guards.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
245/35R19 654mm tall
245/45R19 703mm tall

Nearly 50mm taller tyre, no surprise it's rubbing, I'm surprised it fits at all.

Firstly not legal.
Secondly if your speedo is accurate it will read 100km/h but true speed will be 108km/h, or 60km/h speedo is 65km/h true.

On top of that it puts more strain on your engine/gearbox under hard acceleration and more stress on your brakes, although anyone's guess how much and whether it's significant enough, but the laws are there for such safety purposes.

Probably smarter to sell tyres and fit the correct ones and it might be good then, rather than modify the car so you can drive illegal tyres and get caught speeding, also those spacers might not be legal either.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
19s just cause problems with the front end stay at 18 s

19s are not to big for a VX.

They fit perfectly fine. Depending on tyre profile, 20s fit with ease.

The problem as pointed out already is BMW wheels run a very aggressive offset, typically in the 20s whereas the Commodores run from memory from my VX a 48.

E46 M3, Z4 M Genuine BMW Competition Package 19-inch Wheel Set - Turner Motorsport

Going by this, if you have the 8" front and rear the offsets should be fine. So lets move onto tyres.

First. 45 profile tyres are far to big for 19" Commdore. I suspect without the spacer you would be fouling on the macpherson strut so now with it youre fouling on body work.

You SHOULD be fine to run 245/35. Which is what the VY HSVS run with 19s. If that still fouls with the spacer, you may have to go a 235 or a 225 wide tyre, but I doubt you will have any issues with the 245/35.