Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Able to remove key in the Accessories position

DevlChsr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute '08
#1 Able to remove key in Accessories position which is bad because it can cause the battery to drain overnight.
#2 Coincidentally, there's been a mysterious overnight battery charge leak (key in off mode) that my auto sparky can't find. Brand new expensive battery and new genuine alternator. The only thing the on the computer scan is an issue with different wheel speed sensor numbers reported on all 4 wheels. Hoping a clean of sensors will fix that. Traction, steering, braking a check engine dash lights keep coming on.
I'm thinking #2 will soon be remedied but not sure what to do about #1 or if it's possibly related to #2. Any experienced thoughts here?

SV607

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 & Holden EH Premier
do you have a dash cam... i have Blackvue 750S 2 Ch... with power magic.. which controls power cut of.. or leaves power for for a preset time.. i found out that even when power magic was to cut power off in say 6hrs.. it still draws power. even after 6hrs. just a little but it draws power.. i was wondering why my big battery was getting drained.. took car to battery world and they said most common draw of power is dash cams..

DevlChsr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute '08
Ok, that makes sense and aligns with my request to the auto sparky to disconnect all ancillary devices before testing. He didn't but I did and nothing changed. Still have the voltage leak. Worse still, it's not consistent. Some nights voltage drops and others not. Arrrgh! It's electrickery. PS I don't have a dash cam. Just a holy cross and a big pick handle. ;-) Thanks for your response SV607

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Replace the ignition barrel.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Faulty driver's door lock actuator, failing to let the car 'go to sleep'?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you can pull the key out in accessories, chances are the barrel isn’t always engaging the switch to turn to “off” and leaving circuits powered.

DevlChsr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute '08
If you can pull the key out in accessories, chances are the barrel isn’t always engaging the switch to turn to “off” and leaving circuits powered.
Very interesting. I'll replace the key barrel and my auto sparky. I asked him to check it the first time visiting him. Spent lots of money and I'm still left fixing the thing myself. I have snatched the pebble from your hand Fu Manchu. Many thanks.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d suggest on planning for a replacement lock actuator as well as @imoengnr has suggested. That’s a common cause.

The key shouldn’t come out and that should be fixed first.

You can buy a kit and re-pin it yourself. Takes a while but go slow and follow instructions and works fine. Save you a fortune.

There’s a good video showing how to re-pin on a VZ or a VY but it’s the same concept. That way there’s no buggering around with new keys etc.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i found local locksmith would repin and replace barrell for $120 (2019 price)
i supplied genuine barrel
no brainer for the stress involved

DevlChsr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute '08
i found local locksmith would repin and replace barrell for $120 (2019 price)
i supplied genuine barrel
no brainer for the stress involved
Thanks, I'll get a quote. Also, love the John Wayne quote. It explains why my life is so hard.