Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AC problems

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey all,
Now that Melbourne days are getting hotter, I've started using using the AC in my 2010 omega and have noticed some problems.

Sometimes it doesn't get cold. But if I turn the AC off and on, it will sometimes start working and get colder. But when it does work, it doesn't get ice cold like my dad's VE. Anyone know what this may be? Can I fix it myself? I'm already stretching my budget thin getting the centre tailshaft bearing and front control arms done.

I might be imagining it, but sometimes I can hear what sounds like the fans getting quiter (and then it gets warmer). Might this be the compressor failing? Any help appreciated

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It might be running low on gas. The system has pressure switches in it to prevent the system running when there’s no refrigerant gas in it. It could be on the cusp of that switch tripping so it works sometimes and other times not.

In any case you need to take it to an AC mechanic as you cant do anything about it yourself. Just don’t make the mistake of just getting it regassed if it’s low.

If it’s low then it’s probably low for a reason and you need to repair the leak otherwise your just throwing money down the drain paying for a regas that will leak out within a short period of time.

ZXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportwagon
Nothing you can do yourself unfortunately. I would get it regassed with dye and go from there.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
VE's have a habit of the A/C vent door control servos failing. Make sure that when you set windscreen, face and floor vents on the controls, that the air is coming out of the correct vents. The A/C can be working perfectly well, but if the vent control doesn't select the centre dash (face) vents, then it doesn't cool the driver down too well.

It can start failing intermittently, and can start working again if you turn the ignition off and restart the car. Try running an A/C vent relearn. sometimes that works to correct the fault once, or a few times.