Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accelerator Pedal Adjustment

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
I was told recently (from a guy with years of driver education training) that it is a requirement that the accelerator pedal is placed lower than the brake for safety reasons.

(So silly old buggers can tell which pedal is which)..not that it seems to stop them hitting the gas and going through shop widows!

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
I did a bit of a quick measurement this morning. The accelerator sits roughly 5cm (length of a Commo key pod) below the brake. That's not too much. My advice would be to develop a new driving style.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Mine's probably about that much lower too, but on an auto it makes not a lot of difference, because you get used to it and just lift your foot without thinking to go for the brake pedal.
I do feel though the brake pedal and throttle pedal should be at the same height though..........it just makes sense for auto trans or manual. Should be a must on any manual vehicle.
I do wonder though how many drivers in this day and age really know how to double de clutch and heel and toe???????????
I know some younger drivers that have only ever driven an auto box vehicle and have no idea how to drive a manual vehicle.
If I had my way all new drivers would be taught to drive in manual cars along with high speed driver training before obtaining a licence.

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
In my car, the accelerator and brake are about level when the pedal is depressed enough for medium braking, so it's quite easy to 'slide' from brake-accelerator under normal driving conditions. I don't think too many people would slide accelerator-brake.

I agree with you, Gossie, everyone should learn to drive a manual. I've never owned a manual and hate driving auto vehicles. If it hasn't got three pedals, it isn't a car!

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Could you remove the accel pedal and shaft, heat the shaft and bend it out to the desired height, you may just need a rubber stopper on the floorpan to stop you pushing the pedal further once it's travelled as far as is possible, this will stop you re bending the shaft back again