Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Achilles ATR Sport tyre Failure

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
As an Achilles retailer I am really disappointed in your experience with the product and if you were in Melbourne I'd love for you to come and see me so we could sort it out for you.

Firstly, with regard to tyre warranties, the process is this (regardless of brand):
- Customer must purchase a replacement tyre & pay all service charges associated with that change-over (the warranty is against the product, not the service - unless the service was included in the price of the original tyre)
- The tyre is returned to the manufacturer or distributor for assessment
- If a warranty claim is upheld then the cost of the tyre is refunded to the retailer on a pro-rata basis depending on tread used (<25% used is usually a complete 100% replacement - some brands will refund 100% no matter the tread wear)
- The retailer then refunds the same percentage of the retail price of the tyre back to the customer

With this in mind it seems you had a somewhat different experience. I'm not sure what he tried to charge you but perhaps he didn't explain the warranty process fully - not sure what happened. Sounds like he wasn't very helpful in any-case. There are all sorts of people in this industry who will do all sorts of things to make a buck. Thank god they aren't all like that.

Now, regarding the failure of your tyre, it looks to me to be nothing more than an impact fracture on the inside of the sidewall. This can happen to ANY tyre and believe me I've seen it on everything from Italian made Pirellis, Japanese Toyos, Taiwanese Federals you name it...it happens. If you hit something hard enough (with a 30 profile tyre in particular) then you will pinch the sidewall between the rim and the object and this will split the rubber in the sidewall. This then allows pressurised air to get into the sidewall plies and with movement and heat will eventually lead to a big bubble and then a blow-out. It's not a long shot to suggest that somewhere along the way you've hit something and I can see by the condition of the inside rim on your wheels that's true. We all hit things from time to time, be they potholes, railroads, roadworks etc. It happens. My point is simply that this kind of damage can happen to any tyre regardless of brand.

Anyway, it's not for me to assess the tyre, that's up to the manufacturer or distributor. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a disappointing experience with your tyre service and it's a shame that this frustration has been directed at the product rather than the dealer. We sell 100's of the ATR Sport tyres every month and we have not had a single claim to process for 2 years, and that claim was upheld in full by the distributor.

If you are interested in giving the product another shot or if you like to try something else I'd be happy to help you out - just let me know. With the 245/30R20 size you are going to be limited to budget brands anyway simply because none of the premium brands have a high enough load rating (most are only 90). Your choices are Achilles, Neuton, Altenzo, Nankang, Sonar, Carbon Series...I think that'll be about it.

Let us know how you go... I'm only a phone call away if you want to discuss.

Last edited:

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
thanks for the info, will keep that in mind.

The main problem with my experience wasn't the pro-rata payment, i was happy to pay that, It was the tyre retailer charging me $140 per wheel for fitment. I was never informed by anyone that wheel fitment without a wheel purchase (as mine was warranty) would cost more than normal. So you can imagine after sorting this all out for two weeks, waiting an hour for a rep after having to take half the day off work I am already pissed. But then after they have installed the tyres after trying to slide their way out of accountability they say your bill, for the 2.5 mm of tread you have used on 2 tyres is going to cost you $320. When i knew cost price of these tyres in WA is $265. It just made me want to snap, I wanted the tyres back off the rims. I can go to any other tyre retailer and pay a tenth of that price and I can go through mates and get them on for $5. For said "tyre establishment" to say a 20" tyre fitment costs more because it is an upside down fitment is a joke. I was standing there when they fitted them. probab;y took 3 mins per wheel. So say 6 mins. divide that into an hours 60/6=10 10x280=$2800/hour. Talk about money for jam

In regard to your comment "and I can see by the condition of the inside rim on your wheels that's true"... The reason they are hacked up is because my wife was 9 months preganant when the tyre failed. She was like 400m from home so she crawled home slowly on them but it still took it's toll. Yet another thing I have to deal with now, the Achilles rep didn't pay for that now did he.....

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
It was the tyre retailer charging me $140 per wheel for fitment. I was never informed by anyone that wheel fitment without a wheel purchase (as mine was warranty) would cost more than normal.

It should not cost any-more than normal...that's ridiculous. $15-$20 bucks per tyre maybe but $140 is crazy.

Based on your WA price of $265ea (fitted?) you should have paid $530 for the two tyres.
Then assuming 9mm tread depth less 3mm wear = 66% refund ($350 refund)
Total cost $180 total..

If it was indeed only 2.5mm wear on 9mm that's only 27% worn and perhaps could be argued for a 100% refund..

Although, this is all assuming a warranty failure which can only be assessed by the distributor. Impact fractures are generally not considered a warranty failure and to me that's what it looks like, but hey, I'm just looking at pics on a computer on the other side of the country. I'm not trying to judge mate, just trying to help out with what I can. Hopefully you get better service at the next tyre store you use.

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
I know, I was blown away. I can't believe they are still in buisness. Will never go there and will tell anyone who asks where not to go.. The tyre rep calculated the tyre wear then and there. I had to pay $40 per tyre for the usage (2.5mm), he said he'd cover the rest, excpet for fitment which i was meant to pay 100% for, but when they tried to slog me $280 fitment i then gave it to him and he covered 50%.

Also on the tyre with the massive gash, he said it was a impact fracture, but I said look up close, the entire sidewall has tiny little slits running the whole way around, where it gaveway is the big slit.

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Also on the tyre with the massive gash, he said it was a impact fracture, but I said look up close, the entire sidewall has tiny little slits running the whole way around, where it gaveway is the big slit.

Without seeing the tyre before the blow-out it is hard to identify the cause of this.. if, as you say, your wife drove home on it flat then this would easily have caused the splits. If they were there before the blow-out then that's a different story....

It's hard to see from the pics but it looks like the other tyre with the bubble has no splits along it so I would presume this one didn't until after the fact. I'm sure if you found the splits prior to the blow-out then you would have had it checked out sooner. It's a bit of a chicken - egg scenario there.

David3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vm caprice 2009
That's insane 140 you shouldn't have to pay that at all I have the Achilles in a 275 r20 thanks for the post il keep an eye on mine

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I replaced the Achilles ATR s on my VZ recently , they were , I'm sad to say the worst tyre I ever had , umpteen problems punctures to flat spots , paid more had switched back to Bridgestone.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I replaced the Achilles ATR s on my VZ recently , they were , I'm sad to say the worst tyre I ever had , umpteen problems punctures to flat spots , paid more had switched back to Bridgestone.
Guess you get good and bad in some things. I put 400rwkw through mine and a hard life, no a single problem.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

Never had a drama with them.
Had a great life, hard life as well.

Dont think can be tyres fault for punctures and flat spots, usually attributed to driver influence